PDA

View Full Version : Reformat drive as hfs+ for protools?

ERIC S
08-11-2004, 01:18 AM
I have a 2nd hard drive in my mac G4 that is a striped Raid. When I go to use it with protools it gives me an error saying that it is not an audio volume. I read somewhere that it needs to be formatted as hfs+ in order to work with protools. I just tried to erase it and turn it into an : os extended (not journaled) drive. It still did not recognize the audio files when I opened up a protools session. Maybe I didn't reformat it right ? Anyone have a clue what to do?

Eric

Infa
08-11-2004, 01:34 AM
I know for sure you reformatted it right. At least as far as "Mac OS Extended" ,, that's what you gotta do.

But why it is not working is still a mystery to me.......

What did you use to "re-intialize" and "re-format" it ??

For example via: Mac "Disk Utility", or some other thing ??

DigiTechSupt
08-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Hi,

The problem is the RAID configuration. We do not support RAID for audio volumes. If you reformat the drives a single audio drives HFS+ they should work fine.
Thanks,
Digidesign Tech Support

Infa
08-11-2004, 01:16 PM
Digitech - He DID say in his original post that he erased the raid formatted drive and re-formatted it as Mac Os Extended.
So (according to him) he did do what you are saying, and supposedly it is still not being recognized.

So what I was getting at (but waiting for an answer from him) was , I experienced the same problem one time, but it was because I did not use "Mac Disk Utility" to do it (the formatting, etc.) I used some atto thing, (it wasn't raid though) it still even said Mac Os extended. But it never worked right, or the icon never looked right. But once I re-did the whole thing with Mac Disk Utility, well everything worked fine from that moment on...

So do you think that could be it?? (that is IF he didn't use "Disk Utility")

MoreMeintheMonitors
08-11-2004, 03:46 PM
In Pro Tools, go to the Windows menu and select 'Show Workspace'. In the Workspace window to the right of your drive listing will be an 'A' column and a 'V' column. In the 'A' column there will probably be a 'T' or 'P' listed next to your drive. Click on the 'T' or 'P' and, from the drop-down, choose 'Record'.

You should now be able to record to that drive.

José Luis Díaz
08-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Very, very interesting MoreMeintheMonitors.
Where did you learn about all that?
I searched in the manual and couldn't reach any info about 'Show Workspace', the columns 'A' and 'V' or about the letters 'T' and 'P that appears written there.
Thanks.

Jose Luis

DigiTechSupt
08-11-2004, 05:51 PM
Hi,

I read that he made sure that his RAID was formatted HFS+. The best thing would be to find out what the dialog box says when it won't let him record to a drive. Jose Luis you can find the volume designation information on page 147 of the 6.4 reference guide. Eric when you reformatted did you treat the drives as individual volumes or as a RAID. Is the volume designated as a record volume, and what happens when you try to choose the drive.

Thanks,
Digidesign Tech Support.