PDA

View Full Version : A cool synth that comes with every PT LE for free?

effectsmaster
08-10-2004, 08:32 PM
What if a really cool virtual analog RTAS synth plugin that has similar (even more) features compared to Access Virus came with every PT LE for free? Would more people buy MBox/002/002R ?

Here are some of the features of the synth:
1. 3 osc + 4 sub osc + 3 resonant filters + 3 filter LFOs per voice
2. Additive/subtractive/AM/FM synthesis support
3. Built-in effects: Vibrato, Tremolo, 8 band parametric EQ, Chorus/Flanger, Reverb, Echo
4. Efficient CPU usage, supports SIMD on pentium3/4/amd processors.

Looking fwd to hearing opinions on this...

EffectsMaster

EF
08-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Free is always good.....as long as it works.

antiphase
08-10-2004, 09:16 PM
no. I think people are more interested in stability, and basic options that all the other programs have that PTLE doesn't.

cetanorak
08-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Sorry...what was the point of all the specs for this hypothetical virtual synth, that Pro Tools could offer? Are you a soft-synth manufacturer considering the approach to Digidesign?

effectsmaster
08-10-2004, 11:11 PM
The point is... Such a high quality synth comes with PT for free, and so users don't have to pay extra for a synth plugin.

SimpleNatureSpirit
08-11-2004, 12:02 AM
...and you would be talking about??? exactly

Homebelly
08-11-2004, 04:02 AM
Doesn't REASON adapted already come with PT,,?
There was a bundle a while back that included N-I's PRO 52 as well,,,

Chris Coleman
08-11-2004, 06:10 AM
I'd be far more interested in a standard set of plug-ins that actually sound good and do what they're supposed to.

pk_hat
08-11-2004, 06:43 AM
The point is... Such a high quality synth comes with PT for free, and so users don't have to pay extra for a synth plugin.

Not everyone wants a synth, and not every synth needs to have

3. Built-in effects: Vibrato, Tremolo, 8 band parametric EQ, Chorus/Flanger, Reverb, Echo

.....in order to sound good.

They've been including Reason Adapted for a while now, which can sound amazing if you're into synthesis, which it sounds like you are. I also agree with the comment above. Include better processors/plugins and work on adding and improving some features. If you want a synth, there's tons to choose from out there, and if you did a little research, you'd see that there are many great FREE vst synths available, one in particular with many of the features you requested above. Type "VST" in Google and see what happens. Just invest once in the vst-rtas adapter and you have a plethora of sound mangling options.

staggerlee
08-11-2004, 09:18 AM
the more stuff i get the more likely i am to buy something. a big part of why i finally took the plunge with pro tools was the bundled software (live/reason/sampletank).

of course it turns out that none of the free versions of those programs suit my needs. so...hello upgrade - goodbye $$.

i can't imagine it having a negative impact on anyone's decision. but i guess some people don't like free stuff.

-cliff

effectsmaster
08-11-2004, 10:22 AM
not every synth needs to have

.....in order to sound good.

Well, I believe more is better... If you can get all these features for free wouldn't that be great?
BTW, the synth is modular so that fx/oscillators/modulators/filters could be disabled/enabled.

They've been including Reason Adapted for a while now, which can sound amazing if you're into synthesis, which it sounds like you are.

But Reason is a separate app, you connect to it via ReWire. As it doesn't come as a native RTAS plugin, you have to maintain two project files, one for Protools, one for Reason. And also you can't automate Reason synth parameters directly from PT as it is not a plugin.

Just invest once in the vst-rtas adapter and you have a plethora of sound mangling options.

What if I'm a user who's tight on budget? Before purchasing my MBox I myself really considered getting an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile instead, as it was cheaper and also was bundled with Reason and Live.

tele_player
08-11-2004, 10:30 AM
What are you really getting at here? Have you got a synth you want Digi to include?

effectsmaster
08-11-2004, 11:01 AM
Have you got a synth you want Digi to include?

No, not yet. But I'm considering investing time on it if I get enough positive feedback from Digi users...

pk_hat
08-11-2004, 11:11 AM
What if I'm a user who's tight on budget? Before purchasing my MBox I myself really considered getting an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile instead, as it was cheaper and also was bundled with Reason and Live.

Yet you went with the Mbox/PT option. Would you have been even more inclined to get it if you knew it came bundled with a synth? After all, both options gave the bastardized Reason/Live thing, but Mbox was more money and you went for it anyway. Why is that? What if your M-Audio option had a free sythn included? Could that have been the tie-breaker?

Don't get me wrong, free stuff is great, but when it comes to soft synths, there are so many out there that I can't see Digi putting this on the priority list. They certainly won't lure in new customers because the Mbox/Digi002 comes with a cute little soft synth. I'm also gonna have to stand firm on the "what if I'm on a budget" comment, which I find no room for in this particular context of wishing PT to be bundled with a soft-synth. They're a dime a dozen, definitely a quantity over quality situation but some are actually excellent.

You oughta take a look at www.computermusic.co.uk (http://www.computermusic.co.uk), and also www.kvr-vst.com (http://www.kvr-vst.com)
CM Magazine has been giving away free VST instruments (and good ones at that) for over a year now.
That dream synth of yours (above) is called Crystal and guess what, it's free, F-R-E-E, free! I used it last night in Ableton Live and had a blast.
If you want it, I'll send it to you (but it is a VST, not RTAS), how's that for community spirit...

tele_player
08-11-2004, 11:58 AM
Have you got a synth you want Digi to include?

No, not yet. But I'm considering investing time on it if I get enough positive feedback from Digi users...

Have you already written the functional part of a synth? Do you have the RTAS SDK?

effectsmaster
08-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Yet you went with the Mbox/PT option. Would you have been even more inclined to get it if you knew it came bundled with a synth? After all, both options gave the bastardized Reason/Live thing, but Mbox was more money and you went for it anyway. Why is that? What if your M-Audio option had a free sythn included? Could that have been the tie-breaker?

My case is different, as I had development plans as well, and I will probably go ahead with my plans and write the synth plugin... If I were a regular user, I would have gone with the M-Audio option without any doubt...

That dream synth of yours (above) is called Crystal and guess what, it's free, F-R-E-E, free! I used it last night in Ableton Live and had a blast.
If you want it, I'll send it to you (but it is a VST, not RTAS), how's that for community spirit...

I went to its homepage and read the manual, and it's pretty impressive, although I wouldn't qualify it as a "dream" synth personally.

You can check out the following screen shots for my synth, this is my "dream" synth
http://www.kv331audio.com/synthmaster/screenshots/synthmaster1.jpg
http://www.kv331audio.com/synthmaster/screenshots/synthmaster2.jpg
http://www.kv331audio.com/synthmaster/screenshots/synthmaster3.jpg
http://www.kv331audio.com/synthmaster/screenshots/synthmaster4.jpg
http://www.kv331audio.com/synthmaster/screenshots/synthmaster5.jpg

BTW, regarding the VST-RTAS adapter option to use free VST synths, that's an extra $100 cost for a user. I'm planning to sell my synth for a lot less than that!

effectsmaster
08-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Have you already written the functional part of a synth? Do you have the RTAS SDK?

Yes I did. It is a standalone Win32 app at the moment, and yes I have the RTAS SDK.

tele_player
08-11-2004, 01:06 PM
are you xeetstreet?

effectsmaster
08-11-2004, 01:12 PM
are you xeetstreet?

???
What is "xeetstreet" ? do you mean xeetstreet.com? I just went to their homepage looks like they are also developing plugins. No I am not xeetstreet.

BTW, Why did you ask that question?

tele_player
08-11-2004, 01:27 PM
are you xeetstreet?

???
What is "xeetstreet" ? do you mean xeetstreet.com? I just went to their homepage looks like they are also developing plugins. No I am not xeetstreet.

BTW, Why did you ask that question?

Just wondered, 'cuz I hadn't run across anybody else here who'd gotten the RTAS SDK.

pk_hat
08-11-2004, 01:54 PM
Perhaps not your 'dream synth', but it's the closest thing I've seen to your initial synth feature request short of Reaktor (which you can build and tweak ad nauseam). As for developing your own, then go for it. I'm totally lost with what this thread is about as a result of the last couple of posts...

g'night!

kestral
08-11-2004, 03:01 PM
I think Beat Detective and 64 track support for PT LE would be a better deal.

CraigOZ
08-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Well, it is not going to be free as you state in one post and then say it will be cheaper than xx in another post.

And as this is the Mac thread for Digi, why are you stating it is for Win XX?

effectsmaster
08-11-2004, 03:20 PM
The plugin will be cross-platform, at the moment the engine code is running as a standalone win32 app, that's not the plugin.

If Digi likes the idea of bundling this plugin of course it will be free for all users. If they don't, then I'll have to sell it myself. I might also release a freeware LE version which has 8 voice polyphony only

Targon
08-11-2004, 06:39 PM
What if a really cool virtual analog RTAS synth plugin that has similar (even more) features compared to Access Virus came with every PT LE for free? Would more people buy MBox/002/002R ?

EffectsMaster

Not very useful to Mac users with G4/G5 machines

TheLP
08-11-2004, 07:26 PM

Don't get me wrong, free stuff is great, but when it comes to soft synths, there are so many out there that I can't see Digi putting this on the priority list. They certainly won't lure in new customers because the Mbox/Digi002 comes with a cute little soft synth. I'm also gonna have to stand firm on the "what if I'm on a budget" comment, which I find no room for in this particular context of wishing PT to be bundled with a soft-synth. They're a dime a dozen, definitely a quantity over quality situation but some are actually excellent.

You oughta take a look at www.computermusic.co.uk (http://www.computermusic.co.uk), and also www.kvr-vst.com (http://www.kvr-vst.com)
CM Magazine has been giving away free VST instruments (and good ones at that) for over a year now.

I tried wrapping the Crystal plug-in but the VST-Rtas wrapper keeps popping up an error message.

effectsmaster
08-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Not very useful to Mac users with G4/G5 machines

I'll add Altivec support as well, I forgot to mention that. It shouldn't be a big deal, just a couple of days of learning/coding and testing, that's it. I believe there aren't much plugins optimized for SIMD, right? BTW SIMD stands for Single Instruction Multiple Data. When it is used, it is possible to process (add/multiply/etc etc...) 4 values in parallel at a time with just one processor instruction.

K-Man
08-11-2004, 08:13 PM
I think Beat Detective and 64 track support for PT LE would be a better deal.

Agreed... But we ARE talking about Digidesign here. What does Digi give away that is "theirs?" This doesn't include the Bomb Factory essential plugins either. Because they're cheap & dated and Digi bought them out.

Reason is Propellerheads, Live is Ableton, Sampletank XL/Ampitube LE/T-Racks EQ are IK Multimedia. What does Digi give away to sweeten the deal? They have a pretty awesome control surface deal happening right now. But I'm talking about the initial Digi purchase of a new system like an MBox, 002, 002R, etc...

I agree that Beat Detective & 64 voices would rule. I could live without a soft-synth. I use soft-synths almost daily, but I'd rather have a more practical Pro Tools LE first. Especially... More busses! Maybe 32 if we're nice to them? 64 busses if they love us!

This is asking for a lot but another cool feature would be full Audio Units & VST support. Both are a commonly used plugin format that would be so handy in PT.