PDA

View Full Version : Best & favourite mixers

lastounce
08-10-2004, 08:04 PM
I have read alot of bad things about behringer mixers lately...actually I kinda like mine I've been using it for sometime and I've been pretty happy with it..no problems...anyway what is everyone's favourite mixer?

favourite mixers - post away

pk_hat
08-10-2004, 08:58 PM
Depends if you actually intend to mix on it or just use it for monitoring/playing back several devices at once. Forget about Behringer for anything beyond monitoring, and even then, I know to go with something else after my last B experience.

For use of preamps and/or mixing:

- Soundcraft Ghost, or any Soundcraft for that matter.

- Spirit M-Series (Soundcraft parent company), same pres as the Ghost, perhaps the best "home" budget mixer available (Spirit M12 $700 new w/spdif out!)

- Allen & Heath Mix Wizard. Great little mixer for $999.

- Midas Venice. A popular choice among many, though a bit more expensive.

You'd be surprised how few options there are in terms of quality budget mixers to front-end a DAW. In that sub $3000 category, there's really not much to choose from as far as recent models go. Look for Soundcraft on eBay and you can score a killer deal on a used 600 series, even a Delta Series from the 80's.

There's also the new Onyx line from Mackie, which I know people are interested in hearing about. It shouldn't be long until reviews start coming in as they just got released. No one's holding their breath, as Mackie have such a rep for over-hyping their products and churning out crap.