PDA

View Full Version : Finale and ProTools

bigcow
08-10-2004, 06:12 PM
I've imported Finale MIDI files into ProTools and used my JV1010 sound module with orchestral card to playback my scores. The JV1010 is limited to 16 MIDI channels which doesn't allow me to playback the 24-32 instruments in my score. A friend has recommended moving to Digital Performer and MachFive (or Reason or Kontact) to access orchestral libraries for a more realistic playback. Can this be achieved using Finale with ProTools or do I need to incorporate different software into the mix?

mahler007
08-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Why are you importing Finale files as MIDI files into PT when you can just play them back directly in Finale? Are you having problems with Finale's playback engine?

DP 's MIDI capabilities blow PT out of the water, and Mach 5 is supposedly really nice as far as software samplers go, although I have no personal experience with it. But I've also heard that Mach 5 doesn't ship with too many useful (orchestral) sounds, so you'll have to drop some $ on a good sample library. I use Reason and Kontakt, and I can vouch for both of them. I think they're great, but you have to be careful not to tax your Mac out. If you're going to run a couple different software synths, you need some pretty serious CPU power. Reason is really efficient, Kontakt not so much (at least in my experience...)

Still, I don't understand why you don't just do everything in Finale. I'm sure a software synth/sampler like Reason or Mach 5 would work in Finale- they work in Sibelius. Anyway, let me know if you have any other questions- I'm happy to help as best I can...

-Andrew

bigcow
08-11-2004, 05:41 AM
Thanks for your response. Finale does playback my scores but is very limited when it comes to any musical expression. By importing each staff into a separate track into ProTools I then have control over each instrument and dynamics and expressions, especially hairpin crescendos and decrescendos. That's why it was suggested that I use DP with sample libraries to achieve a more realistic playback.

Current set up:
G3 OS 9.2.2
512 mb RAM
40 gb external hd
Finale 2003
ProTools LE
JV1010 Sound module w/orchestral card
Korg M1 for input

I'm trying to find a better workflow. I also realize that I desperately need to upgrade my computer if I'm going to move forward with any software sampler.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks.

mahler007
08-11-2004, 07:09 AM
I would first consider getting a new computer with at least 1 GB of RAM. A super G4 or a G5 would be ideal, and would keep you running in good speed for a while. After that, I would investigate an array of synth/samplers to see which one best suits your needs. Thses are a few I would look at...

1. Reason- beautiful interface, although a lot of the stock samples aren't that great.
2. NI Kontakt, also NI East/West (this might be a library, not an actual sampler- check it out)
3. Garritan Personal Orchestra- supposedly really good...
4. Gigastudio- very comprehensive and flexible
5. Mach 5- of course...

If money is an issue (isn't it always?) I'd hold off on DP 4 for a while. If PT's MIDI capabilities aren't enough for you, then I would consider getting it, but if I were you, DP would be the lowest thing on my priority list...

I hope this is helpful...

Best,
Andrew

bigcow
08-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Andrew,

Thanks for your suggestions. Nice website by the way!

I also studied at Manhattan School of Music (1981-BM in composition/piano) and my mentor was John Corigliano. Since the 1960s I've been involved in many types of music from rock 'n roll, jazz, jingles, orchestrall and chamber music and bluegrass.

Anyway, I enjoyed listening to the excerpts you have posted and was very impressed with your work. Would it be possible to hear some of the electronic versions of your pieces with playback through Finale with Reason and Kontakt? Let me know.

I would also be interested in your set-up as well. Once I upgrade my computer I would like to create a better workflow and have the ability to produce a more realistic transcription of my scores for conductors to review.

Best,
Glenn