PDA

View Full Version : Adat optical problems with DIGI 001

Paul Maunder
08-07-2004, 02:35 PM
I'm using a DIGI 001 system running Protools 6.4 on mac os 10.3.4 on a Dual 1GHZ G4. I'm using the system with a Behringer DDX3216 mixer hooked up to the ADAT i/o on the 001 PCI card. Recently I've been getting clicks in the audio from the mixer. These show up in Protools as a sharp spike in the waveform, which is easy to draw out with the pencil tool but they're so frequent that it would take forever to get rid of them all. I thought initially that it might be due to a clocking problem, but I've tried setting both Protools and the mixer as the clock source, and it makes no difference! I don't get any problems with clicks when I'm using the 001's own inputs, only when using the optical inputs from the mixer. This problem is getting annoying, and when I'm recording 8 tracks of drums I end up with a lot of clicks to draw out! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

jeffwuollet
08-07-2004, 05:15 PM
Did you try changing the DAE playback buffer size? Just a thought. I know I had to do that to get rid of cracks and pops on my TRacks software.

sdelsolray
08-07-2004, 05:22 PM
I'm using a DIGI 001 system running Protools 6.4 on mac os 10.3.4 on a Dual 1GHZ G4. I'm using the system with a Behringer DDX3216 mixer hooked up to the ADAT i/o on the 001 PCI card. Recently I've been getting clicks in the audio from the mixer. These show up in Protools as a sharp spike in the waveform, which is easy to draw out with the pencil tool but they're so frequent that it would take forever to get rid of them all. I thought initially that it might be due to a clocking problem, but I've tried setting both Protools and the mixer as the clock source, and it makes no difference! I don't get any problems with clicks when I'm using the 001's own inputs, only when using the optical inputs from the mixer. This problem is getting annoying, and when I'm recording 8 tracks of drums I end up with a lot of clicks to draw out! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Do a search for CHUD. There's a apple system preference application that allows you to turn off the "napping" mode of the G4 processor. It's not installed normally, you have to add it. That solved the same ADAT clicking issue for me.

Mixline
08-08-2004, 07:12 PM
I thought initially that it might be due to a clocking problem, but I've tried setting both Protools and the mixer as the clock source, and it makes no difference! I don't get any problems with clicks when I'm using the 001's own inputs, only when using the optical inputs from the mixer.

I had this problem, plus audio dropping out from time to time with a TM-D 1000 mixer. I had the TDIF out of the mixer into a TDIF to ADAT convertor then to the Digi's Adat in/outs. Could never solve the problem.
Next I got a Fostex VM200, connected the outs directly to the Digi, set digi's clock to internal and the mixer to 44.1.

Do you can the correct sample rate? Does it record all the audio and just clicks and pops together with the audio? Does it do it in record only? How about if you send the track to the mixer for Protools?

Sounds like you should mess with settings in the clock more, should get the right one.

Paul Maunder
08-09-2004, 12:49 AM
Thanks for your help with this. I think I've sorted out the problem now. After having no luck with switching off the processors Napping function, I tried swapping the 001's PCI card to another slot. Strangely, this seems to have solved the problem! I have also set the mixer's clock source to internal and Protools to 'optical' so the mixer acts as the system's master clock. Previously when I tried this before it made no difference whatsoever and the problem persisted. I always used to run protools as the master and slave the mixer off that and never had any problems up until recently. Well, it's sorted now so I can get on with recording without having to put up with clicks every 10 seconds!