PDA

View Full Version : 002r How to expand the most

Jared3
08-07-2004, 02:29 PM
I want to get the most inputs and outputs, the most preamps and an external clock for my 002r.
I also need connection details.
I was looking for ideas and prices.

mac os10.2.8
firewire

Much thanks,
Jared

albee1952
08-07-2004, 06:58 PM
You can bring in 8 channels on lightpipe. Suggestions are Focusrite Octopre(w/ADAT card), Presonus Digimax or Digimax LT, RME has a new 8 channel pre with Lightpipe. or (my fav) Focusrite ISA428 with digital card. The ISA428 is only 4 channels of pre, but it has 8 channels of converters so you can patch in 4 other pre's from any company. $ mic pre's with balanced +4 out can be patched into inputs 5-8 and you could put a 2 channel pre into the spdif input for a total of 18 mic channels. You can also get 8 more outputs on lightpipe if you get an 8 channel DA converter.

tele_player
08-08-2004, 10:43 AM
The trick with getting 18 channels working is that your ADAT and S/PDIF interfaces need to be able to share word clock, since ONE of those devices will need to be the master clock.

Jared3
08-08-2004, 11:19 AM
What is the best word clock unit? I was looking at the Lucid Genx6. It doesnt have a spdif out.??
How would the Lucid connect to the 002r? Or can they connect?
Is there a better word clock unit out there?
Would a stand alone word clock unit be better quality than a unit with inputs and word clock?
Would apogee converters sound better than the focusrites octapre or 428? So to speak...

Trying to invest my money in the right direction...

JFreak
08-08-2004, 11:27 PM
The trick with getting 18 channels working is that your ADAT and S/PDIF interfaces need to be able to share word clock, since ONE of those devices will need to be the master clock.

spdif seems to be able to lock into whatever clock is fed, it's just a choice between internal clock and adat clock, whichever seems to be more reliable. i have a presonus lt (which has wordclock i/o) and t.c.electronics m300 (cheapo reverb which has spdif i/o but no wordclock i/o) connected to 002R (which doesn't have wordclock i/o, shame on you digi!) working very nicely together without dedicated wordclock cabling. usually i use adat clock as i have a feeling that's the best clocking device of the three.

DIGI: 003R better have the wordclock i/o and bigger simultaneous i/o count, otherwise your LE systems lose to competition. you must know how well logic does currently?

tele_player
08-09-2004, 12:41 AM
Jfreak -

Yes, but that only works if your S/PDIF device has an S/PDIF input. Example, try using an 002, Digimax LT and Apogee MiniMe. The MiniMe doesn't have an S/PDIF input, so it needs to be the master. The Digimax doesn't have an ADAT input, so it needs to be the master. But they can't both be master. So, you need some way to get all devices using the same clock. WC would be one solution (but I don't think MiniMe has WC input), or using something on S/PDIF which has both input and output, as you describe.

So, I'll rephrase - the trick is finding a combination of devices which can supply the desired I/O, and can share a common clock (somehow.)

Jared3
08-10-2004, 12:03 PM
if i used an apogee ad 16x connected with lightpipe could i use the ad 16x as my word clock? It does have word clock gen right?

tele_player
08-10-2004, 01:04 PM
That would work, if whatever you connect via S/PDIF has a WC input, OR if the S/PDIF device has both A/D and D/A (and can therefore get clock via S/PDIF).

Go look at the specs for the various devices.