PDA

View Full Version : Mackie D8B sync?

Jj Cichon
08-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Hi, I have just bagged my MOTU DP4 rig! I have prided myself for being a DP user since 1985. What was I thinking? I just bought the Digi002 rack with 6.4 LE. It is light years ahead of MOTU. There are some things I would like to see (like the ability to select any color you want for any track in the edit window, but hey, small price to pay). My question is about my Mackie D8B digital console. It wont respond to any clock or sync from PT? I need them to talk so I can utilize the automation on the board also. Can anyone help with this? THANK YOU and happy to be "home". (sorry it took so long!) - Jj Cichon

DJ Insomaniac
08-06-2004, 09:28 PM
You can get the D8B to run as a controller for PT via the HUI protocol. Although this is not "supported" in ProTools, the controller profiles for these are available for download here (http://www.digidesign.com/download/controllers/).

i've also found the reference for your D8B at Mackie, located here (http://mackie.com/products/d8b_v5/index.html).

good luck.

BTW, i'll take that copy of DP off your hands, i want to start mixing in surround.

Jj Cichon
08-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the reply BUT.... I do not want to use my d8b in the HUI mode. I simply just need the 002 (or PT LE) to sync to my d8b so I can write automation on the board. That should be easy, but doggone got me befuddled? ANYONE HELP!!!! Here is my setup...
Mackie d8b
MOTU MTP AV
Digi002 rack

DJ Insomaniac
08-07-2004, 08:37 PM
i'm not sure i follow.

what are you going to automate, parameters in ProTools or various thing on the D8B itself? If the latter is true, then how are you running the audio between the 002r and the D8B?

Jj Cichon
08-08-2004, 06:46 AM
THANKS for the quick reply. I just want to sync the d8b with PT LE so I can write automation in conjunction with running protools. I am used to writing automation on all 8 returns for final mix or bounce. I run ALL my synths virtual, so I automate those faders, pans, mutes as well ( I know you are probably thinking, he can do that with midi tweaking. I am way quicker with automating than tedious midi tweaking). Also, the boars really needs to sync for a variety of applications. Right now, when I hit play on LE the counter works in PT only. My Mackie d8b counter stays at 00/00/00/00 and will not sync. If I can just get it to sync (or lock) to LE than I can write automation on the d8b. Thanks, I hope you can help! - Jj
-ProTools LE
-Digi002 rack
-MOTU MTV AV
-Mackie d8b digital console

Jj Cichon
08-08-2004, 08:47 AM
Sorry I forgot to include...
I run audio out of the Mackie by lightpipe into the 002.
THANKS!
-Jj

DigiTechSupt
08-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Hi,

If you have your d8b setup in AMS you should be able to select Generate MTC to Port in the session setup window and choose your d8b as the port. You can find more information about generating MTC on page 555 of the Pro Tools Reference Guide.

Thanks,
Digidesign Tech Support

Jj Cichon
08-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Thanks so much. The session window did it! Very easy! THANK YOU!

DJ Insomaniac
08-09-2004, 10:19 AM
Now, about that copy of DP...