PDA

View Full Version : how to create and store an "autoload" pro tools ??

chagos
08-06-2004, 03:17 PM
greetings all. this is an easy one.

how would i go about creating a "autoload" for pro tools?
I find that when i'm ready to record, i have to boot pro tools up, make all of the necessary tracks, etc. By that time the creative energy can be lost or at least not as spontaneous.
I just recently switched to digital recording the past couple of years, and i'm still having trouble finding that happy medium of plug and play from the analog days.

So, what would be the best way to make a autoload pro tools session to keep me in the quickness?

Any answers would be appreciated.

tclash
08-06-2004, 04:02 PM
In System Preferences -> Accounts (in OS X) you can set what applications will automatically open when you log in / startup. In OS 9 you can do this too but I forget where exactly.

As far as having a session ready to go, you can make a session with your preferred track layout and then make it a template. To do this, save & close the session, select the session icon and use the "get info" command. In the window that opens, check the "stationary pad" box. From then on when you open the session it will ask you if you want to edit it or make a new session.

There you go.

chagos
08-06-2004, 04:23 PM
hey thanks. I'll try it out!

orage
08-06-2004, 09:12 PM
Another way to do this, and make sure that you're audio always ends up in the folder associated with the new session, is to create a bunch of different sessions with all the different set-ups you want. Then, when you're ready to use one, create a new session, then use the import Tracks function. A bit convoluted I'll admit, but I never have to worry about disk allocation this way.

toddm7
08-07-2004, 11:58 PM
Another way to do this, and make sure that you're audio always ends up in the folder associated with the new session, is to create a bunch of different sessions with all the different set-ups you want. Then, when you're ready to use one, create a new session, then use the import Tracks function. A bit convoluted I'll admit, but I never have to worry about disk allocation this way.

Great suggestion. I made a template on my desktop and the audio ended up in the wrong place. Just what i was looking for.

toddm7
08-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Well, on second thought, <Import tracks> is a TDM only function.

Leo Garcia
08-08-2004, 11:42 PM

NO, import tracks is not limited only to TDM systems; I have it on my LE system... look for it under FILE Menu

toddm7
08-09-2004, 12:18 AM

NO, import tracks is not limited only to TDM systems; I have it on my LE system... look for it under FILE Menu

My bad. Damn, You forced me dust off the good book. Found this:

"The Import Session Data command replaces the Import Tracks command in previous
versions of Pro Tools."

Thus my confusion. Apologies.

Ben Jenssen
08-09-2004, 05:51 AM
If you make a template session with all the tracks and auxes you'll ever need, with your favourite plugins inserted and made inactive, I/O setup and bus names correct, all prefs the way you like them... then you can just "Save session copy in...", close the template and open the new session and be certain that the audio files will be placed correctly.
No?

Ecarter
08-09-2004, 06:06 AM
Just a thought, saves session copy in. That way you can change session data and make new folders for just that session. Then close and open that saved session.