PDA

View Full Version : DAE can't get audio from the drives fast enough.

AncientMan
08-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Hello

Here in the Bahamas this is the season for Hurricanes. Fortunately the Islands have not had any hurricanes as yet for the season but I have personally had some serious storms from my Pro Tools Digi002.

In the last month or so I have had problems with bouncing to Disk etc. To resolve that problem I reinstalled an earlier version of PT that does not use the most recent core audio drive 6.5.2. This seemed to work OK for a week or two. Unfortunately a few days ago, my system started moving at a snail's pace. Inaddition when working with a session the system would stop and I would receive the error message:

"DAE can't get audio from the drives fast enough. Your drive may be too slow or fragmented or a firewire drive could be having trouble due to the extra firewire bandwith or CPU load(-9073)." Is there anyone out there who can shead some light on what I might need to do to correct this problem?

How do I determine if my drive is Fragmented? If it is How do I defragment it?

How much is considered extra bandwidth and can it be determined?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have a rather simple studio setup. It is running on ;

G5,
power PC 970(2.2)
CPU speed 1.8 GHz
L2 Cache(per CPU) 512.KB
Memory 3.5 GB
Bus Speed 900MHz

In addition I use an external Neptune OMS hard drive,
An M-Audio interface
along with Reasons 2.5

Currently I am unable to venture out into my PT environment due to this slow moving summer Hurricanes occuring right now. Again any asistance would be appreciated.

The AncientMan

J-P-78
08-07-2004, 01:31 AM
I just had the same error-note last night. looking forward to an answer.

MrNed
08-07-2004, 07:05 AM
I had the same error messages, and they would occur when recording to a track after having previously deleted all the regions that had been on the track. The problem vanished when I upgraded to OS10.2.8... although I don't think it was the OS that was directly causing the problem: Prior to patching OSX I had noticed that my SCSI buss wasn't being correctly recognised by the system, but was working properly in most circumstances. After patching the buss was correctly recognised and I haven't seen the error message since - it seemed as if the OS upgrade kind of kicked the SCSI drivers properly into place.

Don't know if this sheds any light on your problems, but I thought it was worth mentioning anyway. I guess the moral of the story is that there may something not sitting comfortably with your HDD buss drivers.

Ned