PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP!

cusetown
08-05-2004, 08:30 PM
I just installed & can't launch pro tools at all. I just get a msg telling me I have to restart my computer.. (As if its crashing, not to "complete installation" or anything).

Specs:
G5- OSX Version 10.2.7
1024 Ram
1.8ghz

Its a digi002 w/ Pro tools LE 6.1.2.. I see that there are upgrades for download.. But those are for OSX 10.3.

I tried everything in the troubleshooting post on here.. I'm pulling my hair out over here. I unistalled & reinstalled.. Preferences are correct.. you name it.

I bought my G5 in January for use with Pro Tools, which I JUST bought and received today. Yes, I had the computer for nearly 8 MONTHS, because I couldnt afford to get the digi002 until now.
Needless to say I've been crazy anxious to get up & running!

ANY help or guidance is appreciated!
Thanks in advance, I'm getting real nervous here.

Infa
08-05-2004, 08:40 PM
Are you doing the "easy install" or the "custom install" ??

cusetown
08-05-2004, 08:47 PM
I don't get an option, just 'continue with install'.. So I assume its not custom..
Thanks.

cusetown
08-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Also, I just browsed this site looking for the possibility of another PTLE version I may need.. & I'm confused about something here...

I'm seeing where it says: "Power Mac G5 Requires Pro Tools LE 6.2.3"
Then I click the link to the downbloads page & it says 6.2.3 is "For Pro Tools LE systems on Mac OS X 10.3.2 (Panther)"

Well, I have a G5, but its OSX 10.2.7

Any insight is appreciated.:)

Infa
08-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Yeah,, maybe your right.. That's odd. It don't give you an option aye ?? Even BEFORE the page that says "continue with installation"?? It usually asks you about the custom vs easy when it asks you WHERE you wanna install it...

Anyway, step 2 of my troubleshooting for you has steered me to the compatibility page here at digi.
Now do you have the 002 RACK, or the 002 with the control thing ??

Infa
08-05-2004, 08:54 PM
I'm seeing where it says: "Power Mac G5 Requires Pro Tools LE 6.2.3"

Yeah,, I seen that too, which is what I'm talking about now. So is it rack, or the other.. Then I'm a get back to ya in about 2 minutes..

cusetown
08-05-2004, 08:57 PM
Its the 002 console not rack. Thanks again.

Infa
08-05-2004, 09:02 PM
O.k. ,, actually I think they are the same (as far as compatibility) anyway..

Yeah, from what I gather, if you want to run a 002 on a G5 you absolutely HAVE to run Pro Tools LE 6.2.3. (at least)
And to run THAT you need to run Panther 10.3.2 (at least), which if you do that, you might as well run 10.3.4 (it's a free update from 10.3.2) ....

So that's it....

cusetown
08-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Does this mean I have to BUY an update from apple?
This is nuts..

Slim Shady
08-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Yes. You must be running at least 10.3 on a G5 to run ProTools. This is pretty easy to find out by reading the compatibility docs online, it shoudn't come as a surprise. You should always research the system requirements before you buy anything, especially a pro audio product. There weren't too many G5's shipped with Jaguar, and if you just bought yours new, you are eligible for a free update from apple. If your computer is older though as you stated, you're probably going to have to shell out the $$ for Panther.

Infa
08-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Post deleted by Infa

Bender
08-05-2004, 10:33 PM

Infa
08-06-2004, 01:36 AM
Bender ,,,,, what was that suppose to mean ??

Slim Shady
08-06-2004, 05:20 AM
Wow, offering to pirate software right here on the digi forum - you'd best to delete your post infa, one of digi's forum rules is they don't like talk about distributing software illegally - even if your intentions are good.

cusetown
08-06-2004, 06:01 AM
^He's just makin the offer because he can see my frustration.. & yeah, I should have an up to date OS.. But I guess I thought I had one.. It was only late January that I bought this thing. I don't think it should be a paid "upgrade". And when I bought it, all my research pointed to me being compatible. I mean, lets face it, Its kinda ridiculous. The computer is a hell of alot newer than most running the 002.

PS, I'm in NY anyway, but thanks for the offer infa.

froyo
08-06-2004, 06:16 AM
Hello. Well Infa you were talking about how you sympathized with people who pirate software the other day on an iLok thread on the TDM forum. This was a couple of days ago and the thread was completely deleted. Now here you are offering to pirate software. I guess you didn't get the message Digidesign was trying to put across. They don't want any discussion of pirated software in any way, shape or form. This will probably also be deleted if the moderators get to it.

Infa
08-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Yeah,,, hey thanks guys,,,,,,,,, I keep forgetting about that (it's just so normal from where I live/come from)....
Thanks though,,, I caught it before they did, thanks to you guys....

It's just that OS being something considered under that is a joke to me. That actually HELPS Apple if anything.
It's not like an actual "cool" program or anything. It just gets it so you can enjoy an Apple,, and then you will probably wanna go out and BUY a bunch of other programs now, because you got a taste of 10.3 ,,,(ya know)....

See , my point is this. I seen it happen a million times to the people in which I get into it.
At first they(my friends) are like "no I don't need that, I don't know what I'll use it for. I'm a just stick to the simple stuff" ,,, right??
Well then I (ahem--) GIVE it to them(no matter what it may be,,,,follow me?) ... And like 3 weeks later (I kid you not,,, like clockwork) they are all juiced up, and now into this whole thing MORE than I am even (pratically).. Then they are going out AND BUYING everything, every program, and going nuts.... Why ?? .... Because I got them sprung, because they got a "taste" of it, and now need / want it all...... It happens everytime,,, guarenteed.....

So in turn I have probably SOLD more gear/software/everything for Apple, Digi, you name it, than I have ever (ahem,,well you know)... So it's like a good marketing stratagy... That's what big companies do everywhere,, give away stuff, to then sell more stuff later.... Trust me Apple, and Microlimp don't care about OS's ---

Also I just have no respect for laws, rules, or anything closely related. Especially made by big companies...--- Sorry, that's just me, my lifestyle, and from where I come... I'd LOVE to see any of them to take a walk down my block out here on the corner where all the big transactions go down.... WHEW !!! that would be hilarious !!! ----

One Luv ya'll,,,,

froyo
08-07-2004, 08:06 AM
By Infa
Also I just have no respect for laws, rules, or anything closely related.

Hello. Well I think that says it all.