PDA

View Full Version : Mbox input level whackiness

kujhawk
08-05-2004, 03:12 PM
OK...I've just about had it with this Mbox...first it was all that line 33 garbage when bouncing regions that were anywhere from 15 seconds to 3 minutes. And since digi "can't reproduce" this problem...I don't see any fixes coming son. Come over to my place and I can reproduce it in about 1 minute...but that is another issue.

Today's issue is the #@!*&$# Mbox. I use a Sony TCD-D8 to record DATs into my computer. I go from mini out on DAT to XLR on Mbox. In ProTools, it will be recording and going along and all of a sudden the levels drop to almost nothing...then a few minutes later, they jump back up...sometimes to normal levels...sometimes to half-ish levels and sometimes they blow out the peak meter. When the levels drop, there is tons of hum and buzz being recorded as well. I thought placement might be causing the interference or something hence trying the setup on the Powerbook listed below.

When plugging headphones into the DAT, everything sound crystal-clear and strong...

I have tried this set-up on the following machines...

Dual 1.8 G5 recording to an external 7200 rpm firewire drive
12" Powerbook 1.33 recording to an external 7200 rpm firewire drive

I have tried the USB cable did shipped with the Mbox and a ridiculously priced Belkin cable.

Is there something I can be doing differently when recording through the Mbox?

Thanks in advance...

tele_player
08-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Are you using the Line In on the Mbox? That's the 1/4" TRS in the center of the XLR. Even better would be to use the digital out on the Sony, if you have the cable for it.

Carl Z
08-05-2004, 07:33 PM
Agree with tele. Have you tried the digital out. also how good is the cable connection? That sounds like a flaky cable connection.

C

kujhawk
08-16-2004, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestion to try the digital out on the Sony. I purchased a Sony 7-pin patch cable and it worked great. Well worth the cost of the cable...

tele_player
08-16-2004, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestion to try the digital out on the Sony. I purchased a Sony 7-pin patch cable and it worked great. Well worth the cost of the cable...

Of course, that leaves the mystery about why the analog transfer didn't work. I hate lingering mysteries.