PDA

View Full Version : Mbox vs Audiomedia III

mac1
08-05-2004, 08:26 AM
Well, I'm new here, but looks like we're all kinda in the same boat. I had an Audiomedia III card. I'm running a B&W G3/400 with 512 ram and an external FW 120GB drive. I got this computer and card right after NAB so I could run my brand new Peak 4.11 and the SoundSoap plugin. I had another Audiomedia III running on my Mac 9600/300 AVID MC 1000 but I couldn't get SoundSoap for it.

I got the Peak installed with the AMIII card and all was fine. Weeks went by with no problems. I dicsovered the Mbox, which I had already seen at NAB, and decided to upgrade the AMIII card to the Mbox so I could start using Pro Tools 6.4.

The Mbox came and I put the AMIII card on ebay and never looked back. The quick tests I did with the Mbox and Peak seemed fine. Then I had a real session to do, fortunately a short session. We kept hearing audio pops and short studders. Not often but enough to cause us to stop the session. I was told the fix was to use a higher buffer number of 1024 or 2048. Well, I can get the buffer size to change to 1024 but I still get some pops, but not as many. I've tried to switch to 2048 but as soon as I close the window it reverts to 1024.

I launched Pro Tools and have the same problem. 1024 seems to be the highest buffer size available. I'm beginning to think I souldn't have gotten rid of a perfectly running Audiomedia III card for my Peak. All this because I wanted to try Pro Tools. I imported a stereo file into Pro Tools 6.4 and tried to play it. It played about 20 seconds and stopped. I got a window that read: "CPU useage is holding off USB audio. Remove some plug-ins, delete some tracks, or increase the H/W buffer size in the Playback Engine dialog. (-9136)" Well, I only have two tracks open, I'm not running any plug-ins and the buffer size is at the max 1024.

I've also gone thru the trashing of the pref files mentioned above but still get poping. What I gonna do?

studiomusic
08-05-2004, 09:31 AM
Sounds like your computer isn't up to the task. Check the compatibility info to see what computer you need as a minimum to run 6.4 (hint= G4 w/agp graphics).

Carl Z
08-05-2004, 07:30 PM
You should have kept the AMIII. You might need to upgrade your computer to handle the extra stress of the MBox.

C

mac1
08-06-2004, 03:28 PM
Thanx, guys. Looks like I'm getting an AudioMedia III card Off Ebay. In my early conversations with support from both Bias-Inc.com for the Peak and Digidesign.com for the Mbox, no one mentioned the fact that the computer might not work. I think I understand, now, what needs to be done. I'll hang on to the Mbox until I can upgrade the G3 to a G4. That looks like the "Fix". In the mean time, I'll go with the AM III. Thanx again.

katoramone
08-07-2004, 03:40 AM
I have a 002 for recording and such on my PC, but my G4 400 has the AM III card and its great for editing and rough mixes. I dont think i'll get rid of it for a while.