PDA

View Full Version : 1st priority: new monitors or converters?

steelronkeel
08-05-2004, 07:50 AM
I've been using a 001 and Event PS6's for a long time, and now i want to improve on it. What I want: more definition and clarity, overall bigger sound. Would it be best to start with a new DA converter OR better, possibly bigger monitors. I guess my question is where would i hear the biggest change: converters or monitors? Eventually, i'll replace both but i'm just asking where i should start first. Note: the room has been "Auralexed" (but not too much) and the room size is about 12x14 sqft.

detroitkruk
08-05-2004, 08:19 AM
microphones?...pre amps?...

bigger?...what are you recording?...

detroitkruk

pk_hat
08-05-2004, 08:28 AM
Normally, I would jump in and say monitors right away, but this case needs a little more conisderation and experimentation. First off, wanting a "bigger sound" doesn't always come by using bigger monitors. Unless you meat you want a "louder sound", then a mixing issue is at hand. That said, to improve mixing skills, it's good to have the right processing tools, the right monitors, and more importantly, the right room.

The 001's DA are not much to write about. Had you said 002/R, I would have said monitors right away. If your room is descent sounding and you're monitoring nearfield, then I'd say you may want to move things around a little with what you have and perhaps, then, consider a Benchmark DAC-1, which will bring new life to your 001 recordings (like night and day, seriously).

While I never liked Event monitors, I'd say they're not the worst things out there and I'd try the DA converter route first. If you really want to step up to better speakers then you have to try some out and see what works for you, in your room, for your type of music. Personally, I'm a big fan of the Alesis M1mk2 Actives at $399/pr, and for anything between $1k-$2k, my vote goes the the Dynaudio BM6A ($1500/pr).

A2D D2A
08-05-2004, 10:54 AM
My question would be more along the lines of did you just put Auralex in the room or was the room evaluated and the Auralex placed to attack the problems discovered?
Auralex, or any wall covering only works as well as it's reason and method for placement, it could be hurting your room more than helping.
Back to your original question, a simple way to get a feel for which would help you more in your particular situation would be to take your Advents somewhere else and listen to them or bring another pair of monitors into your room.
This could help you start to develope a perspective based on the differences you notice.

MidnightFlyer
08-05-2004, 12:35 PM
I've been using a 001 and Event PS6's for a long time, and now i want to improve on it. What I want: more definition and clarity, overall bigger sound. Would it be best to start with a new DA converter OR better, possibly bigger monitors. I guess my question is where would i hear the biggest change: converters or monitors? Eventually, i'll replace both but i'm just asking where i should start first. Note: the room has been "Auralexed" (but not too much) and the room size is about 12x14 sqft.

Do NOT get a DA converter first. That will only help you hear the sound better, but it will not IMPROVE the quality of your recorded sound. First get a GREAT A/D converter. That will improve your sound going into your computer. After you do that, if can afford it, and if you want to hear what you've captured, go for both; a good DA converter and good monitors.

O.G. Killa
08-05-2004, 03:06 PM
have you thought about getting a D/A and A/D in one unit? I would say go for that. Everyone here has very valid points. If you treated your room with foam by yourself it could be worse than it was originally. The converters in the 001 suck. The speakers you have could definitely be better. and so on, and so on, and so on...

After you check to make sure your room is treated properly look into converters. Look into a stereo A/D and D/A (or you could go for an 8 channel if you want). The benchmark is Great!!! but it's only D/A.

After the converters, look into speakers. I would recommend saving up to try and get speakers in the $3000~$4000 range. KRK E8t's, Dynaudio BM15's, some of the ADAMS models, etc...the differences between a pair of $1500 speakers and a pair of $3000 is very noticeable...not to say that more expensive speakers always sound better, but for the most part the components and quality control put into the more expensive speakers yield noticeably better results.

And if you haven't already done so, look at your cables. cables (and to a lesser extent connectors)actually do make a difference in the sound. I'm not going to start arguing which cables sound best because that is subjective. But if you are using HOSA cable from your local guitar center, you should absolutely look into replacing it. There are online stores/companies you can contact for cabling or if you have a professional audio equipment dealer in your area you can talk with them.

Infa
08-05-2004, 05:14 PM
Midnight Flyer, and OG Killa got it right, (and everyone else also had very good advice as well), BUT let me elaborate my feelings into what I thought was the better points brought out for your question..

#1 Getting new monitors is a great idea, and will help, but are only the path in which you are HEARING your music, not how it gets RECORDED. Sure given,, it will help even how you record a little because you will be hearing your mixes better, but your monitors ARE NOT in your recording path..

#2 A very good A/D converter now IS in the RECORDING path, and you WILL notice a difference. And a D/A converter (maybe not for some) IS also in your recording path (if you go out the box at any time to record/mix/or anything like "touching" your mix with a analog feel by running it to a external analog device)... So my advice would be to get good CONVERTERS first, your final recorded project will take the biggest difference, not how you hear it in the room... And what OG Killa said was a good idea if you are on a budget,,, - Get a A/D D/A converter all in one (via Apogee Rosetta 200 or 800 for example)..

But IF you did mean you wanted to just HEAR a bigger, better sound, and NOT be RECORDING a bigger, better sound , then you will want to get some good monitors first.........

Hope this helps

Carl Z
08-05-2004, 07:28 PM
Yeah - we need to know what your input signal path is.

C

Infa
08-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Yeah - we need to know what your input signal path is.

C

CarlZ ,, you need to know what MY(Infa) input signal is ?? Or did you mean you need to know what the original poster to this threads (steelronkeel) input signal is ??..

righton041
08-05-2004, 07:58 PM
I think he meant the original poster's input path. But ultimately both monitors AND converters are crucial and I would advise not skimping on either... have a longer term plan to update both elements of your system and if you end up not being able to buy both bits at once, try and compensate for that in your listening... I think Infa's right. Monitors will make the most difference in being able to HEAR a bigger sound, but converters will improve your RECORDED sound... both crucial.

Infa
08-05-2004, 08:15 PM
Thank You righton041,,,.. Also steelronkeel did mention he was planning on getting both EVENTUALLY.. But he was wondering which would you do first if you could only do one NOW...

And I also agree with you as far as BOTH are crucial, and DO NOT skimp out on either one.

But steelronkeel, there is nothing wrong with getting them one at a time. Just save up and get the best ones of each that you can.
And I stick to my opinion by saying, "Go for the converter(s) first"... Then later down the road when you have all your money saved back up get some real good monitors. For those I recommend "Genelec" .... The Genelec 1031A's are really great Pro monitors..

Hope this helps

JFreak
08-06-2004, 04:52 AM
monitoring signal chain is the following:
d/a --> amp --> speaker --> room --> ear

what do you think affects the most to the accuracy? first remove wax from your ears and tune your room, then buy a nice pair of good monitors (and amps, if they are not fitted into monitors), and spend money on quality d/a converter as a last effort should you need more accuracy.

while the converters in 001 are a lot worse than those in 002, they are still at least "decent" quality and will reveal a lot. you can listen to crappy speakers connected to The-Best-Converter-Ever-Made and it still doesn't sound good - but connect genelecs to your 001 and be amazed

steelronkeel
08-06-2004, 08:12 AM
thanks ya'll. i'm using a focusrtie isa 428 with a/d option so i'm happy with my sounds going in. i think i'll probably start with a new d/a like a benchmark. i figure, start closer to the source and work my way to my ears.

JFreak
08-08-2004, 11:57 PM
thanks ya'll. i'm using a focusrtie isa 428 with a/d option so i'm happy with my sounds going in. i think i'll probably start with a new d/a like a benchmark. i figure, start closer to the source and work my way to my ears.

think again

when you record, it's better to improve your gear closer to the source, but when you monitor, it's better to improve your gear closer to the destination. starting with converters on the monitoring side is exactly the same scenario than starting with converters i nthe recording side - decent converter can get nice sound out of a good mic/monitor, but a bad mic/monitor will sound just as bad with an excellent converter.

Bhennies
08-09-2004, 09:21 PM
post deleted...

whereO219O
08-09-2004, 11:26 PM
I'd go for converters....decent mics/pres will shine through good converters, but the best mics/pres will suffer isntantly with poor converters. It's a well known fact the 001 converters basically suck.

JFreak
08-10-2004, 12:43 AM
hey where, are you fake? your nick previously had zeros and not letter 'o':s

Carl Z
08-10-2004, 03:57 PM
The Benchmark is great. That gets my vote. The headphone amp is fantastic.

Sorry to confuse you infa. I just reply to the lastest post so I don't have to scroll back up.

Carl