PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs help!

kanga
08-04-2004, 09:05 PM
hi folks,
i'm new to pro tools le, so new i haven't even used it yet. I've got the mbox waiting patiently for me to get some hardware. everyone here talks about dual g5's but that's way beyond my budget. how well or how acceptable would protools le/Mbox combo run with a 1Ghz G4 ibook with 768mb ram? i'd rather get a mac than another pc.
this is purely for home recording purposes. please help! i'm tearing my hair out trying to find an answer!

MikeyB
08-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Kanga,
I'm successfully running PTLE and 002 with iBook G3 600 w/640MB RAM, and a firewire external 120GB HD. As you'll read everywhere you should also use a separate firewire drive for recording with a laptop. I had some problems here and there with MBox due to the USB connection. But with the G4 running at 1GHz, the additional memory, and improved software should make recording a much happier experience. This forum has a wealth of practical info. Try a few searches of the DUC for iBook to see what's already been covered.

Good luck

kanga
08-05-2004, 04:15 AM
thanks mikeyb, i've been doing that but this forum definitely isnt' for beginners and there's a lot of jargon to shift through... the external drive IS something i've read about, can the mbox connect by fire wire to that drive or is it usb only the usb ports on the laptop itself?
sean.

JFreak
08-05-2004, 04:26 AM
mbox has usb connection, you can use firewire for the external hard drive. however, if you only plan to record two tracks, you should be able to do that nicely to the laptop's internal drive if it's not too heavily fragmented...