PDA

View Full Version : It's official folks...

ZULUBEAR
08-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Protools LE 6.4 for mac is probably the worst piece of software ever engineered for macintosh. Not only have i reinstalled multiple times to try and get rid of that horrid line 33 assertion error. But protools has degenerated to the point of so many random crashes, that i cant even delete a track without it crashing. I think its about time that digi got off their cheetos snacking arses and optimized their product for the G5. I pray for the day when this software runs flawlessly. Dp4 runs great... logic runs great... why not protools? Oh wait! I know! The company doesnt give a crap about their non-professional, non-cost-you-ten-thousasnd-dollars product.

shanabit
08-03-2004, 06:40 PM
I feel your pain. If you really think LE is that bad then I have a niece copy of CUBASE SX 2.2.035 that will give you the same thing only the colors are better he he !!! I should have gone with a mixer and an HD recorder !!

DJ Insomaniac
08-03-2004, 07:05 PM
It's all relative.

i've had no trouble with it. hell, it'll even run at a decent speed on an iBook G4 800.

I'm even able to get a decent, full surround and surround reverb out of it. it's not as big a pain as some think, just exporting it is where you get problems.

ZULUBEAR
08-03-2004, 07:10 PM
no trouble with it? just you wait. The fact that you're using an ibook alone is an indication of a time bomb waiting to go off. Good luck.

pk_hat
08-03-2004, 07:38 PM
No problems here either. Been on 6.4 since it was released.
In fact, PT has been rock solid on this laptop no matter what version.
Digi002R + G4 1.25HZ Powerbook/1GB RAM/Pather 10.3.4

It certainly ain't "official" to everyone. I hope you can get better performance soon.

DJ Insomaniac
08-03-2004, 08:28 PM
no trouble with it? just you wait. The fact that you're using an ibook alone is an indication of a time bomb waiting to go off. Good luck.

no, the main computer is the Dual 1.25 listed in my profile. I just put 6.4 on the iBook for when i go to my friend's studio and don't feel like lugging a 45 lb $2000 computer 200 feet into the woods.

Trust me, if i've ever had any "time bomb" it was 6.1.2 with an Mbox. geeze, that one sucked...

antnyzman
08-03-2004, 08:49 PM
No problems here either and that's my setup below. Perhaps give us a detailed description of your complete configuration (h/w & s/w) and maybe we can help.

ZULUBEAR
08-03-2004, 09:11 PM
I used to use a Dual 800 G4. Had horrible experience with that and upgraded in december or so to a Dual 2.0 Ghz G5 with 2 gigs of ram running LE 6.4 with 002 and control 24. I have kept the computer super clean. There's nothing on it besides a couple pieces of audio software. No crazy system hacks, no virus protection programs. It is a dedicated protools machine. Protools continually crashes unexpectedly (this happens to many other users as well), has complete audio freakouts where tracks with a plugin on them all of sudden sound like they're being run through an extreme mooger fooger, crashes when i try to delete tracks, and the list goes on.

I've reformatted the computer, sent it to apple to have them check it over, and even reinstalled protools many times. And at first everything is honkey dorey, then after about 4 days, it all goes to [bleep] again. I've scoured the answerbase, emailed Digi, and gotten nothing. One audio guru at an ny tech shop just said "its simply outdated software that in no way was built to actually harness the power of a G5." This is easily true, anyone who has used products by Motu or emagic are familiar with the expansive system power available that seemingly disappears when similar mix techniques are used with the same plugins in ProTools LE. No wonder most studios are running Protools 5 in OS 9. The software just isnt stable or fast enough to utilize Apple's latest processors and operating systems. Please allow 7 to come as soon as possible. THough i'm sure the only difference will be prettier colors.

DigiTechSupt
08-03-2004, 09:25 PM
ZULUBEAR,

We are working on a repeatable case for the line 33 error. We have not been able to recreate it in house and most of the users that have access to more that one system report that it only happens on one system and when the move the session to system another the problem goes away. I know your frustrated and it is less than optimal but if you can use the workaround of bussing your mix to a stereo track and then exporting the resulting regions as files if you need to convert them. On user has reported that changing the HW playback buffer setting to 256, CPU to 99% and DAE buffer to 2 allowed them to bounce the session, If you could try this and post your results that would be great. If you are having other problems with your system post your system specs and exactly what is happening and when and we can try to help you sort things out.

Thanks,
Digidesgn Tech Support

ZULUBEAR

We must have been posting at the same time so I didn't see your last post with more information. Strange but true. What kind of audio storage are you using and do you receive any errors when your system crashes. Please give us as much information as you can about installed plug-ins and the nature of your sessions.

ReThanks.

Digidesign Tech Support

toddm7
08-04-2004, 01:48 AM
My 6.4 was very stable... until last night. I launched PT and got the BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH. I heard rumors that the BSOD existed. Now I know first hand that it actually does. Re-started and cold-booted several times with no luck. Finally I trashed my digidesign folder then re-installed 6.4. This fixed it.

tele_player
08-04-2004, 08:05 AM
If you had saved a copy of whatever you trashed, you'd be able to figure out what was wrong.

Yes, when things are going wrong, it's hard to think of such things, but it would take seconds, and could lead to much more useful information.

My 6.4 was very stable... until last night. I launched PT and got the BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH. I heard rumors that the BSOD existed. Now I know first hand that it actually does. Re-started and cold-booted several times with no luck. Finally I trashed my digidesign folder then re-installed 6.4. This fixed it.

supercell
08-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Hey ZULU,

Are you using cracked plugins?

B.p.

toddm7
08-04-2004, 11:40 AM
If you had saved a copy of whatever you trashed, you'd be able to figure out what was wrong.

Yes, when things are going wrong, it's hard to think of such things, but it would take seconds, and could lead to much more useful information.

Ok. How? I didn't empty.

tele_player
08-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Well, I'd compare each file in the trashed directory against the same file in the now-working install, see if any differ, and also compare file ownerships and permissions on all the files and directories involved.

This kind of comparison is best done using a terminal window, and Unix tools. One thing I LOVE about OS X is that all the stuff I'm used to on real Unix boxes is there.

With very rare exception, files don't just go bad. If they did, it would be extremely difficult to keep a system running. Correctly used, Unix file ownership and permissions prevent corruption of anything but per-user configs and preferences.

Hahu22
08-04-2004, 01:15 PM
I use Dual G5 with a gig of ram with 6.4 and the Mbox, with VSTi's and tons of plug ins, never had a problem.. works for me..