PDA

View Full Version : Yah...so about the compression thing?!

rpb
08-03-2004, 12:07 PM
ok, here's little question.

my rig is the MBOX with PTLE 6.4 and i support with REASON 2.5/GARAGEBAND. i read on here before that since using a software plugin for compression doens't change the recorded waveform (since the plugin works AFTER the A/D convertors), i would need an outboard compressor to actually compress vocals.
i just bought a hardware compessor and tube pre (presonus COMP16 and TUBEPRE). afterward,however, this thought had occured to me...

what if i just lower the gain while i record vocals, making sure to avoid the red zone, then bring up the level of the voice with EQ? then bounce and reimport the file and add software compression afterward?

will this give me a similar result? should i take back the hardware equipment, or will it benefit me?
is this idea completely stupid or this how other people do it?

a penny for your thoughts,
ry

mpark9000
08-03-2004, 12:25 PM
ok, here's little question.

my rig is the MBOX with PTLE 6.4 and i support with REASON 2.5/GARAGEBAND. i read on here before that since using a software plugin for compression doens't change the recorded waveform (since the plugin works AFTER the A/D convertors), i would need an outboard compressor to actually compress vocals.
i just bought a hardware compessor and tube pre (presonus COMP16 and TUBEPRE). afterward,however, this thought had occured to me...

what if i just lower the gain while i record vocals, making sure to avoid the red zone, then bring up the level of the voice with EQ? then bounce and reimport the file and add software compression afterward?

will this give me a similar result? should i take back the hardware equipment, or will it benefit me?
is this idea completely stupid or this how other people do it?

a penny for your thoughts,
ry

I wouldn't compress while printing. I will set up a limiter to try to avoid overs, but the threshold is set pretty high, and the ratio is gentle. If you print your compression, you are stuck with it forever (or until you re-record). No options if you want to change it in the mix. Bad choice, IMO. Using a compressor for most normal applications is a balancing act. Trying to get it right while in the heat of a tracking session is a recipe for poor sounding results.

Also, re: lower levels. If you record at a lower level you won't get full bit resolution. Normalizing or changing gain after won't fix it. You want a nice healthy level without going over. Another balancing act.

Hey, if this was easy everyone would be a star

cigam
08-03-2004, 12:34 PM
First and foremost what mic are you using? You need a good mic and mic cable to start with.

Second, in response to this:

"what if i just lower the gain while I record vocals, making sure to avoid the red zone, then bring up the level of the voice with EQ? then bounce and reimport the file and add software compression afterward?"

1. You should always watch the red at all times.

2. Eq is not used to bring up the level of the voice. EQ is like a seasoning. You don't always use the same kind and you don't need to use it all the time. Sometimes you need a little and sometimes you need a little extra for a certain effect. Remember, You should be cutting frequencies more than boosting.

You have to listen to your tracks and mixes to decide if you need to use EQ. It is not an end all be all solution.

3. Import, and all that stuff is unnecessary.

Go on the web and read some articles about EQ and other recording techniques it will make your recordings better and you'll have some new ideas as you read as well. Here's a decent link to start with. Sweetwater has a great tech section as well.

http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html

http://www.sweetwater.com/support/

These links will give you a ton of recording info to start with.

Now, to your compressors, etc.

Actually you can use the software plugins to affect what goes to the computer.

You need to create an aux input. Assign it's input to a mic in.

Insert a plug-in on the aux input. (Compressor, de-esser, etc,)

Now you set the output of the aux input to say bus 1.

Now, create an audio track and assign it's input to bus 1.

When you record enable your audio track and talk into your mic you should see the signal show up on the aux track and on the audio track.

Now the vocal will be effected before you record your audio into the computer.

Make sure you label your tracks well so you don't get confused and make sure you name all your tracks before you record or you'll wind up with a whole folder full of Audio 1 Audio 2 Audio 3,etc. If you ever need to find a file you'll drive yourself nuts.

Be careful with how much you effect the audio, because once it's there, it's there.

External mic pres and compressors are nice, but if you've got some good plug ins you can still do some good recordings.

I'm not saying to take them back, but you should experiment both ways, with the outboard stuff and the computer plugs, and see which one you like better.

Just tried to cover the basics,
CIGAM

MagicCamera
08-03-2004, 01:06 PM
I've had some nice results with the Presonus Tube Pre and an ART 15band EQ. I used 2 C1000 mics set up on XY for stereo micing of an Acoustic Guitar. I was very happy with the rich expressive sound and the tonal quality of the guitar.

I dabbled a bit on post processing the track with an Alesis 3630 compressor/limiter/gate, my first few hours of trials have not yielded any satisfactory results and I still like my original recording with a smidgen of ambient reverb (Outboard gear) and T-RackS Mastering Suite added after recording.

To me it has been alot of trial and error getting a hiss free mic recording that is at an optimal volume level. As long as you don't clip the initial input, my opinion is that you have alot of signal to work with and mould the way you want it to sound

All in all I'd say experiment with your gear, it is a labor of love in the end but well worth the extra effort. Ultimately it all depends on what sound canvas the recording artist is trying to achieve.

MagicCam

tele_player
08-03-2004, 03:02 PM
I think you'd do much better using a plugin compressor than running through the converters again to use the 3630.

I've had some nice results with the Presonus Tube Pre and an ART 15band EQ. I used 2 C1000 mics set up on XY for stereo micing of an Acoustic Guitar. I was very happy with the rich expressive sound and the tonal quality of the guitar.

I dabbled a bit on post processing the track with an Alesis 3630 compressor/limiter/gate, my first few hours of trials have not yielded any satisfactory results and I still like my original recording with a smidgen of ambient reverb (Outboard gear) and T-RackS Mastering Suite added after recording.

To me it has been alot of trial and error getting a hiss free mic recording that is at an optimal volume level. As long as you don't clip the initial input, my opinion is that you have alot of signal to work with and mould the way you want it to sound

All in all I'd say experiment with your gear, it is a labor of love in the end but well worth the extra effort. Ultimately it all depends on what sound canvas the recording artist is trying to achieve.

MagicCam

sean shannon
08-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Vocals will benefit from slight compression on the way in. Not so much that it is damaging, however. That, combined with fader riding, should yeild a good level and full sound. Basically, you just want to avoid overs and control peaks, not squash the entire dynamic range.