PDA

View Full Version : Tips for increasing CPU performance (OSX)

08-03-2004, 03:40 AM
I am using Protools LE 6.4 (mbox) with 1.5g of RAM on a Apple G5 1.6 running OSX panther

I keep getting the message telling me CPU has run out increase H/W buffer size or reduce tracks/plug-ins being used! Are there any tricks I can use to give me a little CPU boost? I already followed instructions to stop my mac 'sleeping' 'energy save'!

johnnymojo
08-03-2004, 08:31 AM
yeah man, what gives? i keep getting interruptions saying this as well. and then when i increase, it tells me to decrease. these interruptions happen while i am recording. i don't even have as much RAM as you and i am on a mac G4, but when i called tech support, they did not know other than to buy an external hard drive to run pro tools off of. it's frustrating because i am running reason adaptec, and i plan on getting the full version of reason 2.5. i can't imagine how many times i will be getting these interruptions once i install reason 2.5

rpb
08-03-2004, 09:00 AM
i have a firewire 800 external drive and this happens to me as well.

and i thought it was because i was only using 512 ram (powerbook G4 1.25 GHz). i guess this is not the case.

mpark9000
08-03-2004, 11:52 AM
I am using Protools LE 6.4 (mbox) with 1.5g of RAM on a Apple G5 1.6 running OSX panther

I keep getting the message telling me CPU has run out increase H/W buffer size or reduce tracks/plug-ins being used! Are there any tricks I can use to give me a little CPU boost? I already followed instructions to stop my mac 'sleeping' 'energy save'!

Buy a dual G5 or switch to PC is the most common cure. There's been lots of discussion about this. It boils down to PTLE not being optimised for OSX. That's why almost all the other software platforms will outperform PTLE 6 in a native environment, even taking in to consideration the 32 track limit, no Auto Delay Compensation, etc.

Hahu22
08-03-2004, 04:16 PM
use the audiosuite if you can

JFreak
08-04-2004, 04:33 AM

what settings you use? i have a [email protected] with 1GB memory, and i can use a lot of plugs before the cpu runs out of juice. i however don't use reverb plugins (in my opinion reverb hardware sounds a lot better) and that saves a lot of cpu cycles for other use. i use 256 buffer and 75% cpu limit. there must be something very wrong with your system if the G5 cannot outperform a G4 laptop...

or maybe it's the usb connection that mbox uses? i use 002R via firewire and have no bandwidth problems...