PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help on lost data!!!

pk_hat
08-02-2004, 06:30 PM
Hello all...

I've done many regretable things in my life (haven't we all) but today I gave myself a Darwin award in computer f***-ups! I accidentally deleted the entire folder containing all my Ableton Live sessions, nearly 30 projects with all the embedded audio.

In a nutshell:

I was trying to bring my "Live Sessions" folder to the Toolbar of the Finder to have easy access to it. Once I brought it there, I didn't realize it was simply creating an alias, so like an idiot, I dumped what I thought was a duplicate folder to the trash, then deleted the trash. As I saw the process take a little longer than usual (noticing the "Items remaing to be deleted" going from 376...238....177...84....32...7..) panic set in and I was witnessing a new milestone in stupidity on my behalf. It was the actual folder containing all the data.

Just after this happened, I forgotten that I'd backed up most of it, so you can imagine the panic attack that followed. However, there are recent sessions that were never backed up and I'm wondering if there's any way to get them back!?!

I went to Tekserve here in NYC and they told me it would cost $800 and couldn't even garantee the results. [bleep]...

I dowloaded a demo of Data Recovery X but now it's warning me to install it on a different volume than the one I'm trying to recover from. My external LaCie shows up but with red exclamation points indicating I can't install it there, why that is I don't know...(perhaps they mean another drive with an OS on it?).

I may try that, which will be time consuming and grueling, but I thought I'd ask if this has ever happened to any of you and if you were able to recover anything...

Any other software recommendations are welcome. I did try Norton (boot from disc) and there is a "Unerase" utility but couldn't get it to show the Trash Can contents...sigh....

thanks...

Rail Jon Rogut
08-02-2004, 06:37 PM
YOu don't want to write anything to a drive you're trying to recover from.. since this is your boot drive, you're probably already screwed - since the OS will be writing all over the drive.

Try getting another computer and starting up in Target Mode.

Try Data Rescue (http://www.prosoftengineering.com/products/data_rescue.php)

Rail

slantrecords
08-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Hello. I also feel your pain! I have been working for months on 15 songs and when I went to bounce them to disc, I "LOST" the wave files but, the fade files are all still there. Since I bounced them to an external hard drive, now when I open pro tools, It says that I have a "million" volume discrepancies! I also get a box that says "change disc allocation" but I went to that and it was right..... can somebody help? [email protected]