PDA

View Full Version : Newbie seeks computer purchase advice

canegri
08-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Hello all, I've just purchased a used digi 001 and am starting to look around for a used powermac. I don't anticipate working on any large projects. It will just be real basic stuff. New dad with not time needs band in a box type scenario. Anyone out there have some advice on a good model to split the difference between value and a little power? Any free form riffing on features to look for, etc. will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Infa
08-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Ahhhh,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the days of "I don't need much, I'm just gunna be doin' this small stuff" ........... (he he) ,,,,, that's how I started too,, telling myself the same thing.... Just had a daughter too !!! So now she's 5 years old, her old room is my Mic booth, she shares a room with me ( and thats in the "old living room", because my "old" bedroom is now my Control Room),,,,,,, I now have HD 3 Accel , Two 23" Apple Cinema Displays, Waves Diamond Bundle, top notch Mic Pre's and Line Pre's galore, Genelec 1031A Bi-Amplified Monitor System with the Sub, Argosy desk console, top notch A/D, D/A converters, the $7,000.00 Sony 800G Microphone kit,,,,,,, I mean dude the list goes on !!! And so does my babies mama's MOUTH !!!!!!!!!

Anyway,, sorry 'bout that,, it just really reminded me of myself,,,, I started out on a Digi 001 , with the same plan as you my friend....................

I would recommend a used PowerMac G4 933 Quicksilver... They are very powerful enough to run that 001 ( I did for years, and then even ran a TDM Mix Plus system on it ,, no Probs at all ever !!)...... Plus it is the model of G4 that came right before the G4's got unbearably LOUD fans.... (trust me on that)..... Plus it will be pretty cheap roughly $800 - $1,000 (just got one for my friend at our local Mac used dealer) .........

Good luck,,,,,, and hope this helps,,,,,,,

JonasMarlowe
08-01-2004, 10:48 PM
We still have a G4 500 and 001 that works fine too!

cheekypaul
08-02-2004, 03:08 AM
For basic stuff... any G4 will be fine. Make sure you've got more than 512mb of ram, and more than 40gb of hard drive.
You won't be running a lot of plugins or tracks.
For real value at whatever budget you have for a mac, you could buy a PC. More tracks and plugins.
Always buy the most powerful computer you can.

canegri
08-02-2004, 09:33 AM
Thanks to everyone for their advice -- this is my first post to this list and y'all have been great!

Infa
08-02-2004, 01:33 PM
It's great to be of assistance canegri ,,,,

And welcome to the DUC,

Infa