PDA

View Full Version : $500 for monitors, mic.... Tapco s5s and SP C-1??

the_chopper
08-01-2004, 04:21 PM
my basic system is listed in my sig... been using my home stereo to monitor for the time being, and a SM57 for vox...
what i'm considering is the Tapco S-5's (coming right out of my mbox) and the Studio Projects c-1 for vox, all around workhorse mic.
anyone have experience with either of these?
thoughts comments?
any would be appreciated

mpark9000
08-01-2004, 04:36 PM
You are buying the right things. These will make the biggest difference in sound from what you have. Can you squeeze some horsepower from your credit card or something? If so, I would recommend a Blue Baby Bottle mic (around $500) and some Behringer Truth powered monitors (around $300).

There's some stigma around the Behringer name, but I've used these monitors and they are actually pretty accurate for the price. I use Genelecs and JBLs for my studio.

where02190
08-01-2004, 06:06 PM
Stay away from the Behringer stuff, spend your money more wisely.

Check into th smaller KRK Rokkits, I've heard great things about them.

pk_hat
08-01-2004, 06:19 PM
Let me make things even more confusing for you!

Alesis M1mk2 Actives ($399)
Studio Projects C1 ($199)

Ok, so we meet in the middle as we agree on the mic. Thing is, these Tapco monitors are relatively new and I doubt too many peeps around have had a chance to truly hear what they're capable of. Best thing I suggest is go down to a local store and hear what you can with a CD which you admire.

I'm with Where on the Big Bad B.
I'm done bashing them, it's tiring and redundant, all I can say is that it seems to be hit or miss with B. Some peeps have had great luck, while others have witnessed their mixers go up in smoke in the middle of a session. As for their Truth monitors, yeah, "they sound pretty good for $300", until the tweeters blow if they work at all out of the box (just based on experiences I've read about). At the end of the day, if money is that tight and you actually like the sound of them, then just get them and make music, though I do think the Alesis are the best damn monitors you can get in the $500 range.

Good luck.

righton041
08-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Alright G's... here's the script. The Alesis actives rock too damn hard to cost less than $500.

mpark9000
08-01-2004, 08:32 PM
See what I mean about the Behringers?