PDA

View Full Version : DIGI 002r- ADAT outs for main DA monitoring....

Bhennies
08-01-2004, 12:17 PM
hi everyone....I was thinking of buying a benchmark DA for monitoring and then changed my mind ($$$$$) so here goes.

Basically, I use a Nuendo RME 8 i/o AD/DA converter for all my audio in (through ADAT into the 002). I currently use the Digi 002 for monitoring, even though I know I should be using the RME if possible.

What is the cheapest and easiest way to get my setup geared towards using line out 1 & 2 from the RME for monitoring (ADAT out of the 002r)? As my primary monitors are powered, I need some way of controlling the volume I suppose, not much unlike the DIGI 002 volume and heaphone controls- thoughts? I have two sets of monitors although I guess that if it makes it too difficult I can only route one set throught the RME and leave my NS10's on the DIGI's output.

Also, as I like an organized and simplified workspace, is there a way to change the "default" output of the main mix to ADAT out 1 & 2 (digi 002 9-10) in Pro Tools? Like where I can open a new session and the 002 DA converters are already bypassed and my audio comes through the RME?

As I stated before, I don't want to spend much money, and I think that the DA of the RME (which essentially is only used for effects sends occasionally) should take over as my main monitor DA.

Any input is MUCH appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!

where02190
08-01-2004, 02:58 PM
The Samsom C-control at $99 is a great control room mixer. Routing for several inputs and outputs, very transparant.

auxsend1
08-01-2004, 10:12 PM
I use that Samson unit, and it's great. Doesn't color the sound that I can tell, although I'm sure it must a little, and it has tons of features. It will even let you hook up 2 sets of monitors and level match them so you can switch back and forth.

And yes, you can set up your I/O settings just how you like them w/ the RME's first 2 channels as your main 1-2 output and then save it. Then you can import those setting to any session you get from someone else.

Bhennies
08-02-2004, 10:23 AM
I use that Samson unit, and it's great. Doesn't color the sound that I can tell, although I'm sure it must a little, and it has tons of features. It will even let you hook up 2 sets of monitors and level match them so you can switch back and forth.

And yes, you can set up your I/O settings just how you like them w/ the RME's first 2 channels as your main 1-2 output and then save it. Then you can import those setting to any session you get from someone else.

cool. thanks guys!

how do you save settings like i/o's and what not. I'm a teach yourself pro tools guy, so I don't even know basic things like that (even though I consider myself intermediate to advanced engineer). thanks

where02190
08-02-2004, 01:31 PM
Download and read the free pdf manual from digi.