PDA

View Full Version : low input signal on mbox guitar connection

rpb
07-31-2004, 10:13 AM
hey everyone,

i'm trying to connect my YAMAHA SILENT GUITAR (frame-bodied guitar) to my mbox (and then run it through amplitube). amplitube seems to be working fine. however, it seems that the input signal is insufficient to the mbox. i have the gain turned all the way up (which is giving me a lot of extra noise), and the gain meter is registering, but very low and not very loud.

i have it connected to source 1 with regular TRS guitar cable. source is to "instrument". is there something i'm still doing wrong/not doing? could it possibly be a bad cable? are the pre amps in the guitar interfering somehow?

i would appreciate any help,
ryan

tele_player
07-31-2004, 10:31 AM
Just to be certain, the 1/4" input on the Mbox is in the center of the XLR combi input jack.

rpb
07-31-2004, 11:35 AM
yah, that's correct, that's where i have it connected.

Bender
07-31-2004, 03:06 PM
I run mine thru a preamp first and get good siginals that way.
I did not like the sound using my Mbox or 002 direct.
Now the Sony Dmx R100's built in preamps sound great but I have to go to work for that

Infa
08-01-2004, 03:16 AM
It very well possibly could be a bad cable dude.... Try using another, and/or jiggling both ends of the cable around to see if you get any of that static,pops,or a better signal come in. If so,, then YES it's a bad cable, and replace it...

Possibility #2 -- Doesn't the Mbox have a little button you can press that gives your signal a boost ?? 'Cause that guitar is like a Mic ya know, and it needs that extra "Pre Amp" boost...... Which then drives me to what Bender says,,, which I TOTALLY agree on is,,,,,, Always use a good Pre Amp-----

Possibility #3-- I've seen the guitars "pocks" themselves go out real fast,,, the ol' hear today, gone tomorrow thing. So check into that as well. And sometimes (I know it seems lame, but it's worth a check) people forget they have their guitar switched to something that makes it not sound load enough, or accidentally turned down,,, ya know, double check ALL that.........

Hope it helps,,,,,,

rpb
08-01-2004, 01:23 PM
is it possible the preamps (internally inside the guitar and the mbox pres) are somehow cancelling each other out???
i don't have much experience with electric guitars/amps/preamps.

thanx,
ry

where02190
08-01-2004, 02:57 PM
UNless the gtr is a balanced TRRS out you're floating the neutral, creating noise and low level. It's also likely the guitar doesn't have enough output level fo the line level input of the M-Box. I'd suggest first using an unbalanced (TS) 1/4" cable, and if that doesn't do the trick, run the gtr (again using an unbalanced instrument 1/4" unless youa re certain it is balanced) into a direct box, and connect the direct box to the mic input of the M-box.