PDA

View Full Version : Hardrive noise

swpowe
07-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Everytime my firewire hardrive reads/writes, I can hear it in my headphones....any idea why? I can sit here and look at the red light that lights up when it is accessed and I hear a pop in my headphones. I've got a four channel headphone amp running off of the monitor outputs of the digi 002R. My firewire hardrive is connected directly to my powerbook, and then the digi 002R is daisy chained off of that. The noise doesn't show up on any of the recordings but it is very annoying and I'd like to get it fixed.
Also, is anyone else experiancing some distortion from time to time? I get some crackle sounds like static electricity that again doesn't show up any any recordings but is coming out of the main and monitor outputs. As always...thanks for the help.

swpowe
08-01-2004, 03:06 PM
Any ideas??? Please....

righton041
08-01-2004, 05:36 PM
I thought (and you'd have to check this) that you should have the 002 directly connected to your computer's firewire port, and then have any drives daisy chained from there. Could be wrong, but check it out.

swpowe
08-03-2004, 09:55 AM
I actually thought that as well but I double checked last night and Digi does recommend having the 002R as the last device in the chain. Meaning hardrive plugged right into the computer and then the 002R plugged into the hardrive.

Please...HELP! I need to get this figured out. I tried moving the hardrive further away...different cable...it's driving me crazy!! Thanks.

cameltone
08-04-2004, 01:35 PM
This happens to me as well, I can hear the drive spinning up when I first turn it on... Usually it happens to me in standalone mode, though; weirdly enough, if I plug my keyboard, which is plugged into the standalone device, into an amp, which isn't connected at all, you can hear the hum of my FW drive in the amp. Weird. Anyway, I'm pretty sure in my case that it's just that the cables aren't shielded that well; it hasn't been a problem in recording, so I've learned to live with it. I used to use a MOTU 828mk2, and it happened with that, too, so whaddya gonna do? I always connect my 002 last in the chain, it really helps performance.