PDA

View Full Version : iTalk by Griffin

Jace Everett
07-30-2004, 12:13 AM
I am thinking of buying an iPod.

a) It's normal function of rockin' jukebox.

b) getting the iTalk for a recorder when writing songs.

Is anyone using this peripheral? Is it cool for acoustic/vocal work tapes?

Thanks,

CroqueMadame
07-30-2004, 06:48 AM
I am thinking of buying an iPod.

a) It's normal function of rockin' jukebox.

b) getting the iTalk for a recorder when writing songs.

Is anyone using this peripheral? Is it cool for acoustic/vocal work tapes?

Thanks,

I've placed an order a few days ago for a 20Go ipod with the italk for that purpuse. I've been told by apple support that it can do both juke box and speach recorder at the same time, meaning that you'll be able to keep your tunes library together with quick live démos (not sure witch compression format, MP3? WAV?). The iTalk also has small speakers for instant playback perfect replacement for my 10 years old (!!!) portable tape recorder.
One interesting aspect to be considered is file management and direct access to a particular spot of any live recording.
Nice songwriting tool, I believe.

Avid
07-30-2004, 07:08 AM
My wife has an iTalk for her iPod for dictation and notes. Great for that. You could use it as a scratch pad to save ideas, but the recording quality with the iTalk/iPod combination is 8khz, 16 bit mono:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.php?&Number=580624

Jace Everett
07-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Thanks for posting Croque. Comment ce vas?

Digi-thanks to you too.

If the audio sucks it isn't a problem, but when you write two or three times a week with folks you hardly know, keeping up with cassettes is a beating! I'm gonna give it a whirl. I'll keep you posted.

mcconnellsteve
07-30-2004, 01:59 PM
we don't use italk but another speech recorder. quality is low, but it's GREAT to pop ideas on the pod right when you have them. i can set it far enough away from my piano to play & sing ideas into it without *too* much distortion -- but since i'm just capturing thoughts, the quality isn't an issue for me.

it's odd when you're in random mode, however, driving down the highway with a random play of great tunes and all of a sudden, a raw, lo-fi song idea pops on :-)

enjoy!
steve