PDA

View Full Version : HELP with decision for New Computer purchase.

IVcrane
07-29-2004, 07:09 PM
I was all set to get the new 2.5Ghz G5, however the shipping date has been continuously pushed back. It seems very few will make it out on 7/30 and other orders will start trickling out after 8/20 as there is a problem getting the processors from IBM.

I am thinking of getting a 2.0Ghz G5 instead as I am sick of waiting. I am interested in what others have had for results with PTLE and the digi002 with the same machine. If I go this route I will get a gig of RAM, 160Gig Lacie firewire drive, and Logic Pro 6.

So I ask these basic questions:

1)Should I wait?

2)Should I get the 2.0 with te extras and Logic Pro 6? (I was told the digi 002r would work as an interface for Logic)?

3)What are others with a 2.0, digi 002, and PTLE getting for results? Are you getting all 32 tracks with an adequate amount of plug-ins?

Infa
07-30-2004, 01:14 AM
I do not actually own one of those G5's yet(Dual 2ghz or any). But I am hearing, and personally seeing them work extra fine with the set up you mentioned.
As far as should you wait for the new G5 Dual 2.5 ???? That is what I am doing,,, but don't just follow me,,, because not only am I waiting for them to ship from Apple.... But I am going to wait even the little extra while to make sure that it will be 100% supported by Digi .... And if you do decide to go for the 2.5,,, then I would suggest you do the same......

And all in all,,, I would just tell you to wait for it all to go down right.... Because it really sucks to buy something, then something better comes out right afterwards.. Which is why to get the 2.5 would be the best thing for me and you to do... We held out this long,, we might as well go for the best!!!! And remember,,,,, the new OS Tiger is coming out,,,, then Digi will soon make updates to support that,,,, and as always is the case,,, the fastest, latest computer will run that OS the best.. That OS Tiger will be optimized for that 2.5 and vice versa...... The last thing we wanna do is get left in the dust AGAIN,,,,,,,,,,,,, right??

Hope this helps.......

IVcrane
07-30-2004, 04:35 PM
Any other opinions?
Thanks for your thoughts, but I don't know if I can wait until the fall for a new computer.

Notefarm
07-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Hi there,

I have a g5 Dp 2 ghz, and 002R and 6.4. It has been runing well so far, I have had trouble with a bounce that is about 50 min long but aside from that all is well.

23 tracks
12 Plugz in the session I am looking at right now.

Seems rock solid so far (knock on wood)

I did not do any of the installing myself though I left it to the experts at Pro Sound and Music.in San Diego. where I baught the g5 and the 002R. They really seem to know how to tweak a system and make it pur.

I was going to get the 2.5 but couldn't wait.

Hope that helps.
Peace and Good Mixes
NoteFarm