Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 05-02-2018, 09:30 AM

Default Avid OMNI and a HDN Thunderbolt question

If the OMNI is partenered with a HD I/O, would the monitor control section of the OMNI (iwhat a severely crippled and underpowered interface it is!) control volume and mute for the whole of the HD system? Even the outs that come out of the HD I/O? I doubt it, but I thought I'd ask.

Does the HD Native Thunderbolt box still require an Avid interface connected to it in order for the headphone out to operate? (the daftest idea ever and prohibiting a genuinely PTHD mobile setup). Again, I very much doubt it but I thought I'd ask.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Avid OMNI and a HDN Thunderbolt question

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonis View Post
If the OMNI is partenered with a HD I/O, would the monitor control section of the OMNI (iwhat a severely crippled and underpowered interface it is!) control volume and mute for the whole of the HD system? Even the outs that come out of the HD I/O? I doubt it, but I thought I'd ask.
No. It also doesn't make any sense -- a single volume knob to control all output for two interfaces? Whatever you route through the Omni monitoring is controlled by the omni.

Quote:
Does the HD Native Thunderbolt box still require an Avid interface connected to it in order for the headphone out to operate?
Yes. The headphone mirrors outputs 1/2 of the interface. It's just a signal route back from the interface. No interface = no signal.

Quote:
prohibiting a genuinely PTHD mobile setup
Use any coreaudio interface for a mobile Pro Tools Ultimate setup. I recommend the RME Babyface Pro (bus powered.)
HD native still isn't HDX. And if you have no interface attached, the low latency point of HD native is meaningless.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:00 AM

I get it how you see it but from a different perspective both units are connected via mini-digilink on a card and I cannot see why smart firmware and fpgas could not provide the possibility of such control. I am far from the DSP engineer, just a wee bit tired from work and looking in all the current HD-compatible interfaces currently in the market.

In respect to the headphone out of the HDN Thunderbolt unit, apparently - or rather when the unit was initially out - it was advertised as having a high-quality headphone output. I do not know whether that means that a stereo DA sits inside the housing but it seems that this possibility is possible as I found it discussed in another thread.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2018, 11:01 AM

RME Babyface Pro is a great idea though!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
In respect to the headphone out of the HDN Thunderbolt unit, apparently - or rather when the unit was initially out - it was advertised as having a high-quality headphone output. I do not know whether that means that a stereo DA sits inside the housing but it seems that this possibility is possible as I found it discussed in another thread.
That was a reference to the DAC for the stereo signal received and the amplifier part (impedance/output-power) in order to drive (full size) headphones.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
That was a reference to the DAC for the stereo signal received and the amplifier part (impedance/output-power) in order to drive (full size) headphones.
That makes perfect sense.

Cheers for clearing this out BScout.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:05 PM

Slightly off topic but I also have a question about that headphone output on the TB box. When I first got my HD Native TB/Omni rig I thought that would be a really handy headphone output to use. But I discovered that if you choose Low Latency Monitoring it mutes. The Omni's headphone jack is the only way I seem to be able to do LLM.

Does that mean that LLM simply routes the Omni's analog input to the output internally, thus avoiding the roundtrip AD-PT-DA? Is that how it works? And after recording something in that mode, does delay compensation come into play at all? Is the newly recorded track shifted one way or another?

Just wondering. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JJ_ View Post

Does that mean that LLM simply routes the Omni's analog input to the output internally, thus avoiding the roundtrip AD-PT-DA? .
Yes
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Mac Pro 2009 upgraded to 5,1 12 core 3.46ghz
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Midas M32r console. iPad Pro with Avid Control