Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-27-2018, 04:59 PM

Default Controlling Pro Tools Midi CCs over EuCon

2018.1 has renewed my enthusiasm for PT. At the moment I use it for half my job - Post Audio. But I'm seriously considering it now for the other half, music composition.

I currently use Cubase for composing, and it remains the only DAW on the planet where you can use EuCon to control midi CCs. It does this via a feature called Quick Controls - on an Artist Mix you press and hold the EQ button, and then you can control the 8 Quick Controls which are set up on a per-channel basis to control pretty much anything you want, including any midi CC. It works great - touch automation for all CCs.

So how did we get here? Avid own Pro Tools, Avid own the Artist series and they own EuCon (I presume). How is this incredibly useful feature not available on Pro Tools but is on Cubase? I'd imagine the simplest way to add the feature would be to enter CC Controller mode in much the same way as with Cubase on hardware (or app), but then it simply controls the first 8 controllers on any midi or instrument channel. Icing on the cake would be the ability to rename controllers, both globally and per channel.

Now I can't be the first person in the world to think of this... does anyone know if this is already a feature request / Idescale etc?

PT 2019 Ultimate; W10 Pro; i7 7820X; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Old 01-27-2018, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Controlling Pro Tools Midi CCs over EuCon

Because Eucon was originally part of Euphonix and was the protocol was collaboration with Steinberg. The "Baby" MC was a competitor to the Icon series of Avid large format controllers and the idea was to have Steinberg use their DAWs as the software backend. Eucon was also open (with a paid license) to other DAWs in order to sell those MC units which is why Logic also has Eucon integration.

So Steinberg and Euphonix teamed up (for Nuendo actually.) A few years later when Euphonix was bought by Avid, the Eucon integration that is/was deeper with Steinberg still exists since they had a hand in creating the specs for DAW integration. And that's how we arrive at things today.

Last edited by BScout; 01-29-2018 at 02:55 PM. Reason: frontend was supposed to be "backend"
Old 01-28-2018, 01:29 AM

Ah interesting, thanks Bscout I guess that answers how we got here. But since Avid took over EuCon development many years ago, surely its way overdue to make up for / exceed that lost ground?

PT 2019 Ultimate; W10 Pro; i7 7820X; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Old 01-29-2018, 02:54 PM

You'd think but I think the priority is to sell more large format consoles and hardware service agreements. They scrapped the whole Icon protocol of communication once Eucon was bought as part of Euphonix -- so the work to get things like the S6 on the market (and working well) and then the smaller S3, S3L, S6L, Dock, App seem to take all their resources vs adding MIDI functionality.

I think MIDI is pretty low on the list unless they can figure out how that is going to make them more money (and it's not the Eucon team but the Pro Tools software team that needs to do the implementing since it already exists in Eucon.) One day...
Old 01-30-2018, 02:34 AM

Cheers BScout. Well I checked through Ideascale. Although a few are similar, there is nothing that really just nails this simple idea, so I've created one - http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...Cs/299007-3779 . Anyone who would find it useful, please do vote it up.

Mods - grateful if this thread could be moved over to the Pro Tools 2018 subforum.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:41 AM

Wait... sorry to jump in on your thread here but...

Recently I had a phone conversation with my Avid reseller in my area and specifically asked them about using an artist mix from within Pro Tools for media composing. I need a fader controller that I can assign four of the faders to be CC1, CC7, CC11, & CC64 and to work specifically with a lot of Spitfire Audio sound libraries.

My reseller said yes you can do that (and then he told me I can assign the four remaining faders to other Eucon controls). I said "fantastic" and ordered one (to be shipped into their location).

Tonight I wanted to start researching how to set this up and came across this thread (I'm actually kind of ignorant about this sort of thing).

Am I to understand, after reading the posts here (and you all seem to be educated and experienced users that I would trust), that this functionality is in fact, NOT something I can do with an Artist Mix?

I know this is crazy to some but if I was looking at getting an Artist Mix, when there are plenty of other (much cheaper) non-Avid solutions, and this won't do what I need, is there any other Avid solution for this? If not, what would you guys recommend from other companies?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!
Old 04-11-2018, 11:15 AM

Can't do CC with Pro Tools from Eucon. (can do it with some other DAWs.) Avid doesn't offer a product for CC.

Find a Peavey 1600x on ebay (unfortunately not made anymore) That and the Kenton Control Freak were the best CC controllers (also not made anymore.)
Old 04-11-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Can't do CC with Pro Tools from Eucon. (can do it with some other DAWs.) Avid doesn't offer a product for CC.

Find a Peavey 1600x on ebay (unfortunately not made anymore) That and the Kenton Control Freak were the best CC controllers (also not made anymore.)

I use a Novation Launch Control XL to control MIDI CCs. Works fine, and I used the knobs for VI synth controls. Artist Control for EuCon shortcuts and track faders. Metagrid on iPad for more shortcuts and MIDI program change shortcuts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2018, 11:38 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm bummed this isn't going to work like I had hoped. I'll have to look at other options. Thanks again.

And for the record Avid... Seriously?!?!?! Why not? I'm trying to spend my money with your company and it's like you don't want me to .
Pro Tools Ultimate | Thunderbolt Native | HD I/O 16x16 Analog | UAD Octo Satellite
API | Chandler Ltd. | A-Designs | Avedis | Kush | Focusrite | dbx
NI Komplete Kontrol S88 | Icon Platform M+ | iPad Air 2 Control | NS-10's
Old 06-25-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
2018.1 has renewed my enthusiasm for PT. At the moment I use it for half my job - Post Audio. But I'm seriously considering it now for the other half, music composition.

I currently use Cubase for composing, and it remains the only DAW on the planet where you can use EuCon to control midi CCs. It does this via a feature called Quick Controls - on an Artist Mix you press and hold the EQ button, and then you can control the 8 Quick Controls which are set up on a per-channel basis to control pretty much anything you want, including any midi CC. It works great - touch automation for all CCs.
I'm using Nuendo 8.2. Could you tell me how to set up the Quick Controls section to run the MIDI CC's on my MC Control/Artist Mix?