Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-20-2016, 09:32 AM
White Fire Sky White Fire Sky is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Posts: 23
Default Distortion Sound on Pro Tools 12?

My new set up of Pro Tools 12 randomly develops a distortion sound. Any ideas? Sometimes it happens on start up and we have to switch everything down and power off again. The last time it happened was when we added a CLA plugin and the output sound immediately shifted to this distorted sound. We shut down everything, powered up again and still the sound remained on this occasion. Sometimes we have to re-start all the devices multiple times to get the sound to revert back to normal.

I attach a link below of the sound. It is only 12 seconds and should be a clean acoustic guitar. You can hear how badly it is distorting the sound.

https://soundcloud.com/thelastinnhou...ortion/s-Hqk4P

So we have an iMac running El Capitan. We have Pro Tools 12 and the output settings in the playback engine is set to our Focusright Saffire Pro 24.

Let me know if you need any more specs / information, but if anyone has a clue, it would be amazing as we waste so much time re-starting trying to get the clean sound back.

Thanks,

Victoria
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-20-2016, 10:18 AM
Lemoncel Lemoncel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 53
Default Re: Distortion Sound on Pro Tools 12?

I get this too, usually shortly after launching PT. I have the same setup as you - iMac-El Capitan-Saffire Pro 24.
What works for me is to open Playback Engine settings (under the "Setup" tab) and change the H/W buffer size. That will usually do the trick and I don't encounter the error again. If I have a lot of VI's in the session, I will typically get the -9173 error, and the same process will get rid of it.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-20-2016, 10:40 AM
White Fire Sky White Fire Sky is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Posts: 23
Default Re: Distortion Sound on Pro Tools 12?

Gosh. Thanks so much. We'll give that a try. Really appreciate your time in responding! Cheers! Victoria
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-20-2016, 12:21 PM
Lemoncel Lemoncel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 53
Default Re: Distortion Sound on Pro Tools 12?

You're welcome.
I should ask which version of PT 12 you're using? This issue was really bad on 12.4 but then seemed to improve when I updated to 12.5.1, although reports are mixed.
Also the higher buffer settings will create more latency, but that's not an issue when mixing.
Good luck - let us know if it works or not. There are a number of threads around here regarding 9173 errors and playback CPU issues.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-21-2016, 01:34 PM
remute remute is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
Default Re: Distortion Sound on Pro Tools 12?

Uncheck "ignore errors in playback/record" in the Playback Engine preference box.
PT has been doing this to me since version 10
- no problems with Cubase, Logic or Ableton, just Pro Tools.
What a surprise.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-21-2016, 01:54 PM
johnbarnesiii johnbarnesiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 123
Default Re: Distortion Sound on Pro Tools 12?

Are you changing to a higher buffer size, or lower, to fix this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoncel View Post
I get this too, usually shortly after launching PT. I have the same setup as you - iMac-El Capitan-Saffire Pro 24.

What works for me is to open Playback Engine settings (under the "Setup" tab) and change the H/W buffer size. That will usually do the trick and I don't encounter the error again. If I have a lot of VI's in the session, I will typically get the -9173 error, and the same process will get rid of it.



Hope this helps.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-21-2016, 02:04 PM
Southsidemusic's Avatar
Southsidemusic Southsidemusic is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm - Sweden
Posts: 12,955
Default Re: Distortion Sound on Pro Tools 12?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbarnesiii View Post
Are you changing to a higher buffer size, or lower, to fix this?







Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have had this once or twice and it doesn't matter what way you change the buffer, just fiddle with it up or down and the horrible sound goes away
__________________
Best Regards
Christopher

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-21-2016, 02:31 PM
Lemoncel Lemoncel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 53
Default Re: Distortion Sound on Pro Tools 12?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
We have had this once or twice and it doesn't matter what way you change the buffer, just fiddle with it up or down and the horrible sound goes away
Exactly the same here. Doesn't matter which way you change it - it just seems to reset the playback engine. Typically for me, after doing this once, i have no further issues with it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-21-2016, 03:15 PM
Southsidemusic's Avatar
Southsidemusic Southsidemusic is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm - Sweden
Posts: 12,955
Default Re: Distortion Sound on Pro Tools 12?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoncel View Post
Exactly the same here. Doesn't matter which way you change it - it just seems to reset the playback engine. Typically for me, after doing this once, i have no further issues with it.
Same, no more issues in that session as this usually happen the first 20 seconds to a minute. Weirdness galore but it works
__________________
Best Regards
Christopher

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-22-2016, 12:38 AM
WarrenG WarrenG is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 160
Default Re: Distortion Sound on Pro Tools 12?

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Fire Sky View Post
My new set up of Pro Tools 12 randomly develops a distortion sound. Any ideas? Sometimes it happens on start up and we have to switch everything down and power off again. The last time it happened was when we added a CLA plugin and the output sound immediately shifted to this distorted sound. We shut down everything, powered up again and still the sound remained on this occasion. Sometimes we have to re-start all the devices multiple times to get the sound to revert back to normal.

I attach a link below of the sound. It is only 12 seconds and should be a clean acoustic guitar. You can hear how badly it is distorting the sound.

https://soundcloud.com/thelastinnhou...ortion/s-Hqk4P

So we have an iMac running El Capitan. We have Pro Tools 12 and the output settings in the playback engine is set to our Focusright Saffire Pro 24.

Let me know if you need any more specs / information, but if anyone has a clue, it would be amazing as we waste so much time re-starting trying to get the clean sound back.

Thanks,

Victoria
Have a look at this thread. It sounds very similar to the problem I had, which is now resolved.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=383449
__________________
Best regards
Warren
Website
FaceBook
MySpace
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sound Distortion Issues with Pro Tools 8 SupposedGhosts 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 10 09-08-2013 02:27 PM
cant get any distortion to sound good alaskan eel Eleven Rack 18 09-04-2013 09:05 PM
Sound Distortion/Buzzing In Pro Tools SE? StereoProphet Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win) 1 06-16-2013 02:27 PM
Distortion sound from PT and Focusrite 24 Andy1138 macOS 5 09-20-2011 01:04 PM
Sound distortion with Pro tools LE 7.1 melodic101 Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 0 03-16-2007 10:38 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:37 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com