Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2016, 12:45 PM

Default Losing plugin names when loading session into alternate rig

I am in the process of upgrading to a new rig. From a 2011 MBP (I will call this RIG A) to a more current iMac (RIG B). Truth is I have the iMac on loan for a couple weeks to see if it is what I'm looking for.

Both systems run PT 11.3.2

When I load a session previously made on RIG A into RIG B the the plugin preset names show up in the Librarian menu as <factory default>

The settings are still there but the name of the preset has been lost and show only as <factory default> in italics. Also the compare button is blue.

Now here is the biscuit - Let's see if I can explain this clearly.

This only seems to happen with plugin presets that are located in a sub-folder within the Librarian menu. The presets that are located in the main folder of the Librarian menu show their names.

When I load the session back into RIG A, the plugin preset names appear as they did when created on RIG A.

I would imagine it is common to work on the same session on multiple rigs. But its a pain when the preset names don't follow with the session. I is beneficial to see the name of the preset as it is a record of what my intent is when working on a session. Now if I go and pull up a session on RIG B I haven't worked on in a while all my presets are shown as factory default this makes it even more difficult to remember where I left off.

My hope is to continue working on the RIG A sessions on a new RIG B. I'm hoping there is a way that I can have the RIG A sessions load up in RIG B knowing what my plugin presets are.

I can't imagine this is an uncommon scenario as may people work on multiple rigs. But for all my web searching I have not found anything.

Some guidance here would be much appreciated.
UA Apollo Quad
ProTools 11
Old 07-23-2016, 08:16 AM

Question Re: Losing plugin names when loading session into alternate rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatJ View Post
This only seems to happen with plugin presets that are located in a sub-folder within the Librarian menu. The presets that are located in the main folder of the Librarian menu show their names.

When I load the session back into RIG A, the plugin preset names appear as they did when created on RIG A.
What are the permissions for the same sub-folder on each rig? Command+I in the Finder on the sub-folder and tab open Sharing & Permissions.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Losing plugin names when loading session into alternate rig

Thanks for getting back to me.

The permissions appear to be the same for both folders.

RIG A
patjohnson(me) Read & Write
Staff Read & Write
Everyone Read

Rig B
patrickjohnson Read & Write
Staff Read & Write
Everyone Read

to get to the folder I am using this path
Macintosh HD> Users >yatrickjohnson >Documents >ProTools>Plugin Settings > plugin"name" > subfolder

Thank you
UA Apollo Quad
ProTools 11
Old 07-24-2016, 06:01 PM

Are those same permissions applicable to the subfolders?

On each system, Apple menu-->System Preferences-->Users. Control click on your account and select Advanced Optiions. Is the UID value the same on both systems?
Old 07-25-2016, 01:57 PM

Yes, the permissions are the same in the subfolders on both systems.

Permission are the same in the Plug-in Settings folder and the Plug-in "name" folder and the subfolder on both systems.

The User ID is the same on both systems.

the UUID is different
UA Apollo Quad
ProTools 11
Old 07-25-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
the UUID is different
That is to be expected. The more important thing is that the UID is the same.

If you create a new plug-in preset on RIG B, save it in a subfolder on RIG B, then copy it over to RIG A, does the saved preset appear as factory default?

This will determine whether or not this is the way it is or if something is unique to RIG B that is causing this issue.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:37 AM

Quote:
I am in the process of upgrading to a new rig. From a 2011 MBP (I will call this RIG A) to a more current iMac (RIG B). Truth is I have the iMac on loan for a couple weeks to see if it is what I'm looking for.

Both systems run PT 11.3.2

When I load a session previously made on RIG A into RIG B the the plugin preset names show up in the Librarian menu as <factory default>

The settings are still there but the name of the preset has been lost and show only as <factory default> in italics. Also the compare button is blue.

Now here is the biscuit - Let's see if I can explain this clearly.

I would imagine it is common to work on the same session on multiple rigs. But its a pain when the preset names don't follow with the session. I is beneficial to see the name of the preset as it is a record of what my intent is when working on a session. Now if I go and pull up a session on RIG B I haven't worked on in a while all my presets are shown as factory default this makes it even more difficult to remember where I left off.

My hope is to continue working on the RIG A sessions on a new RIG B. I'm hoping there is a way that I can have the RIG A sessions load up in RIG B knowing what my plugin presets are.

I can't imagine this is an uncommon scenario as may people work on multiple rigs. But for all my web searching I have not found anything.

Some guidance here would be much appreciated.
Are you having this problem with stock presets or custom user-made presets? If these are custom-made presets the name they are on the machine that they were created on won't necessarily show on another machine. It is possible to save custom presets within PT itself (and not using the plugin's saving mechanism) that I think will translate over to another machine.

QAPLA!
Old 07-26-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
If you create a new plug-in preset on RIG B, save it in a subfolder on RIG B, then copy it over to RIG A, does the saved preset appear as factory default?
Yes this seems to be what happens.
On RIG B
I created a new Session and created a new track

Set up a basic EQ3 1-band plugin and saved a new "custom" preset into a subfolder
Set up a UAD Pultec Pro legacy plugin and saved a new custom plugin in a subfolder
Set up a Waves Q1 plugin and loaded a "PA Default" preset. (Waves has its own deal not using the Librarian menu)

I loaded the session into RIG A
The EQ3 and the UAD were now showing "Factory Default", they would not pull the name of the preset from the subfolder.
The Waves showed the "PA default" as it was expected to.

To further the experiment
On Rig A I moved the UAD preset to the main preset folder from its subfolder.
I left the EQ3 were it was located in the subfolder.
I saved the session.

On Rig B I moved the UAD preset to the main preset folder from its subfolder.
I then loaded the session.
The EQ3 was now reading "factory default" (I believe this is because I last saved the session on RIG A)
The UAD was now showing the "custom preset" that had been moved to the main preset folder.

I should mention that the settings on the plugins travel fine between both RIGS. It's the name of the preset that is not showing in the Librarian menu.
The plug in will have the correct "settings" for presets located in subfolders, but it will not display the "name" of the preset if it is located in a subfolder, only if it is located in the main preset folder. Also when displaying the "factory default" instead of the preset name the compare button is blue. Whereas when the preset is located in the main preset folder and loads with the correct name the compare button is its normal dark grey.
UA Apollo Quad
ProTools 11
Old 07-26-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Are you having this problem with stock presets or custom user-made presets? If these are custom-made presets the name they are on the machine that they were created on won't necessarily show on another machine. It is possible to save custom presets within PT itself (and not using the plugin's saving mechanism) that I think will translate over to another machine.
It seems to be an issue with both the stock presets or custom user-made presets.

I copied the Plug-In Settings folder from RIG A to RIG B, in this way I believe I transferred all my user-made presets.
UA Apollo Quad
ProTools 11
Old 07-27-2016, 07:01 AM

Lightbulb Re: Losing plugin names when loading session into alternate rig

Please log a bug at protools.ideascale.com and reference this thread.