Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools Software (Win)

Old 04-06-2016, 06:09 PM

Default Understanding CPU Meter and Possible Problem

Hello,

I am relatively new to ProTools. I've done a bunch of searching and can't seem to find the information I am looking for. I'll list my system specs below, but here is my issue.

I have both FL Studio 12 and ProTools 11 on my computer (both most recent versions). In FL Studio, i can run basically 25-40 Tracks with a ton o plug-ins and then mastering software with no issues.

If I do the same thing in ProTools, I reach my CPU max with One Track, not plugins and Izotope Ozone 7 Running. I noticed this when I was playing around with Ozone on 1 Track.

I checked the CPU meter and I am hitting 90% TOTAL however, out of my 8 Cores, only one is actually doing anything. For example, right now I have my ProTools playing with Ozone (Mastering Software). MY Total CPU is 55%, 1,2,3,6,7,8 Cores are 1%, while 4 is 25% and 5 is 5%. Oddly, that doesn't add up to 55%?

I don't get it. I am trying to figure out if there is something going on with my motherboard preventing my cores from working at full speed.

8.1 Windows
Intel Core i&-4820 CPU @ 3.7GHz
I have 32Gb Ram
Asus x79-Delux Motherboard.

No real bloatware on my computer (custom build). I've tried optimizing windows power settings as suggested on other sites and this site.

I'd love to get some thoughts on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CPU Meter.PNG
Views:	0
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	6410  
Old 04-06-2016, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Understanding CPU Meter and Possible Problem

#1. CPU usage will also measure ASIO driver load... "Probability of clicks & pops."

Make a test, no plugins, lowest buffer size setting.... Higher sample rate.
CPU meter will jump to the roof.
No plugins.

Similar to Steinberg/Cubase/Nuendo CPU meter...
A plugin could hit 100% VST CPU load, but only 25% of the TaskManager "real CPU usage."
T-Racks 3.1 was one of those plugins.

#2. AAX64 is "New" some plugins are not optimized to do core balancing, & spread the CPU load across all cores...

Those plugins are called CPU Hungry.
The most hungry I've seen is PSPAudioware E27 v1.0.2
The second most hungry was WaveArts TubeSaturator v1.33,
But... TS v2.02 is super optimized, spreads across all cores, making 3x times more efficient.

Long ago I downloaded iZotope Ozone demo, maybe was v3, can't remember...
Could not run in a Pentium4 1.8GHz.