Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-08-2016, 08:00 AM

Default Automatic Delay Compensation - PT 12.4 - Instrument Track bug

Running PT 12.4.0 on Mac OS X 10.11.3. Machine is a Late 2012 iMac, interface is an Apogee Quartet.

To replicate the bug:
1) Create a blank new session, ADC turned on, Global MIDI Playback Offset set to 0.
2) Add an audio track and a plugin (or 10) that create a few thousand samples of delay. Note that the dly is shown correctly below the track name.
3) Add an instrument track. Note that 'cmp' on the instrument track matches the 'dly' on the audio track.
4) Add a VI plugin to the instrument track. One that creates extra delay or not, doesn't matter.

For me at this point the 'cmp' on the instrument track goes back to zero, thus showing that no delay compensation is being applied to the instrument track and therefore it plays out of sync with the audio track.

Anyone experiencing this? I discovered it whilst working on a larger session when adding a plugin with a lot of latency caused the instrument tracks to go out of sync. I soon realised it because they weren't being delay compensated properly.

I'm able to recreate the problem on a blank session though.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Automatic Delay Compensation - PT 12.4 - Instrument Track bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by swfeathers View Post
Running PT 12.4.0 on Mac OS X 10.11.3. Machine is a Late 2012 iMac, interface is an Apogee Quartet.

To replicate the bug:
1) Create a blank new session, ADC turned on, Global MIDI Playback Offset set to 0.
2) Add an audio track and a plugin (or 10) that create a few thousand samples of delay. Note that the dly is shown correctly below the track name.
3) Add an instrument track. Note that 'cmp' on the instrument track matches the 'dly' on the audio track.
4) Add a VI plugin to the instrument track. One that creates extra delay or not, doesn't matter.

For me at this point the 'cmp' on the instrument track goes back to zero, thus showing that no delay compensation is being applied to the instrument track and therefore it plays out of sync with the audio track.

Anyone experiencing this? I discovered it whilst working on a larger session when adding a plugin with a lot of latency caused the instrument tracks to go out of sync. I soon realised it because they weren't being delay compensated properly.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
that's an known issue ....best "solution" for me is just freeze the vi....
Old 03-08-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:

To replicate the bug:

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
A reminder !! Just in case

Are you disabling delay compensation for midi in the PT preferences ? By default it comes activated and it creates a singificanct out of sync performance on VIs while using delay compensation .

Keep the volume UP !
Old 03-17-2016, 02:30 AM

Hi jeam25,

Do you mean 'Delay Compensation for External Devices'? I've tried toggling it on / off and different combinations, but still the same problem.

It's lucky that Track Freeze is now an option otherwise this bug would be really pissing me off!
Old 06-02-2016, 05:30 AM

This bug still seems to be present in 12.5.

Does this not really frustrate people? If I have percussive elements on an audio track layered with percussive elements on a instrument track they flam like crazy.

Is AVID aware of this bug?
Old 10-29-2016, 08:44 AM

This is an issue in PT 11.3.1 as well. I just upgraded to 64-bit pro tools hoping that it would help with larger sampling instruments and now I can't even use it because of this delay issue. Why is this still a problem even in 12.5?

Fix this!!! Or at least tell us what is going on and what we can expect.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:38 AM

Still a problem in 12.6.

So bored talking about this. Please someone from AVID chime in here. Are you at least trying to fix this?!

Screenshot showing two instrument tracks not applying delay compensation to match up with a vocal track:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9b1sdjcmt...36.17.png?dl=0
Old 11-14-2016, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Still a problem in 12.6.

So bored talking about this. Please someone from AVID chime in here. Are you at least trying to fix this?!

Screenshot showing two instrument tracks not applying delay compensation to match up with a vocal track:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9b1sdjcmt...36.17.png?dl=0
Yes I've had this as well, and rather bizarrely an instance where compensation was applied to some instrument tracks, but not others. So odd.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:27 AM

Am I really right in saying that this is STILL a bug in PT 2018.7.0? I don't get it.