Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 06-11-2015, 01:48 PM

Default Opening ancient sessions

Hi folks. I've recently found a stash of old archived data disks of projects from waaaaaay back, as far back as 1998/1999, and I'd love to be able to open them up to revisit them. PT 11 on the other hand isn't so excited about the prospect, the files are greyed out when I try to open the sessions.

I would guess that these go back as far as PT4 for sure, maybe even PT3, so I know it's a bit of a stretch, but is there a way to open these things up?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Opening ancient sessions

I can't remember... what was the session file format back then (SongName.xxx)? Have you tried to import session data from those old sessions?
Old 06-11-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWire View Post
Hi folks. I've recently found a stash of old archived data disks of projects from waaaaaay back, as far back as 1998/1999, and I'd love to be able to open them up to revisit them. PT 11 on the other hand isn't so excited about the prospect, the files are greyed out when I try to open the sessions.

I would guess that these go back as far as PT4 for sure, maybe even PT3, so I know it's a bit of a stretch, but is there a way to open these things up?

Thanks.
Mac? If they have SDII files, PT won't like them now.

Try making news sessions and importing the tracks to covert to wav.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:03 PM

I don't know what the session format was, it doesn't actually give me an extension at the end, I do have a super low-res PT icon (reel to reel, no less!), some of which have a "4" in the top left corner.

I don't seem to be able to Import Session Data, when I try to select the old one, it's greyed out and doesn't let me in. They are SDII files, but I haven't even gotten to audio file compatibility just yet.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:06 PM
Avid

Hi Greenwire,

Unfortunately, sessions from Pro tools 4 and lower are no longer supported on PT 11. You may check the info on the link below. Under "Additional Requirements"

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...m-Requirements

Best Regards,

YD
Old 11-04-2015, 09:47 AM

Dear Moderator

What does this mean... "unfortunately sessions from ProTools 4 and lower are are no longer supported..."

WHAT? Are you serious?

Look, my ENTIRE archive and production process for eleven production rooms is built on an historic foundation of ProTools backwards compatibility. You guys have provided that backwards compatibility since I started with you back in the days of ProDeck and Sound Designer. I've stayed with you too... in large part because of broad backwards compatability. I've faithfully bought each upgrade, defended PT, stuck in there during the many expensive and difficult hardware and software twists and turns since 1992. Now this?

"Doesn't support pre 4.0" won't cut it, guys. Pre PT4 HAS to work for me (and I bet for a lot of other folks in broadcast) It HAS to work in real time, without quirky museum robbing retro-tech workarounds, and it HAS to work in our primary rooms.

I have an archive of 30+ TB of fully produced core content representing over six thousand broadcasts. This goes back to 1994. Since we made the jump to PT5 in about 2000, that means I have almost a million dollars in labor invested in editing content within ProTools V1b thru v4. (I spent that over an eight year span from 1993ish-2001ish, and it is still valuable work.)

Now...half of it is just GONE?

Bottom line, you just cut me off from almost half my archive.

That won't work. There has to be a better answer than "no 4.0 or earlier session access".

Last edited by CoolBlueGlow; 11-04-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:21 PM

Progress is a biatch ain't it?

Better keep an old system alive. For anything you actually might want to use in the future, you might want to open the sessions and consolidate the files to BWAV so you can at least access them on some system going forward. I imagine you can pick them up cheap on ebay.

I am somewhat curious if older sessions will open on PT 10 though, not that I have any that are worth opening. Seems once a project is finished it should be put to bed. Masters are another story, but they probably don't live only in Pro Tools sessions anyway.

What's your archive format for 17 year old sessions? Hard drives sometimes die a slow death just from disuse, and tape systems probably aren't compatible with you current system either.

Or you could do what some in the film industry do, and save everything to Mag. Got a warehouse to store everything in?

Just saying it's not really reasonable to expect backwards compatibility forever.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBlueGlow View Post
Dear Moderator

What does this mean... "unfortunately sessions from ProTools 4 and lower are are no longer supported..."

WHAT? Are you serious?

Look, my ENTIRE archive and production process for eleven production rooms is built on an historic foundation of ProTools backwards compatibility. You guys have provided that backwards compatibility since I started with you back in the days of ProDeck and Sound Designer. I've stayed with you too... in large part because of broad backwards compatability. I've faithfully bought each upgrade, defended PT, stuck in there during the many expensive and difficult hardware and software twists and turns since 1992. Now this?

"Doesn't support pre 4.0" won't cut it, guys. Pre PT4 HAS to work for me (and I bet for a lot of other folks in broadcast) It HAS to work in real time, without quirky museum robbing retro-tech workarounds, and it HAS to work in our primary rooms.

I have an archive of 30+ TB of fully produced core content representing over six thousand broadcasts. This goes back to 1994. Since we made the jump to PT5 in about 2000, that means I have almost a million dollars in labor invested in editing content within ProTools V1b thru v4. (I spent that over an eight year span from 1993ish-2001ish, and it is still valuable work.)

Now...half of it is just GONE?

Bottom line, you just cut me off from almost half my archive.

That won't work. There has to be a better answer than "no 4.0 or earlier session access".
hi cool .. i feel your pain ... i have been doing archiving for a composer with old formats .. nothing back as far as 4 though in this run ..

i would make a call to Avid and talk this through with them ..

do you have a computer and pro tools system that will run pro tools 6 or 7 ?? if so, you should be able to open those PT3 & 4 sessions as they did not change the PT session file format until PT7 .. it could be as simple as having an older Mbox and a computer that would run that system .. my friend just tossed an old G3 that probably would run those sessions - if i would have read this i would have taken it and shipped it to you ..

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ility/en353093

those were sound designer II audio files ..

maybe avid can convert these for you .. i would hope they have some older systems still around .. maybe ..

sorry to hear this, if i find some solution for you i will come back and post ..

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 11-05-2015, 03:24 PM

See Rail Jon Rogut's SDII-to-Wave.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-05-2015, 10:57 PM

SD2 is not the problem here, they will convert on import
the problems are:
11+ drops old session formats (this is what the 10 license is for)
Mac's back in that day (were talking OS8/9) did not attach the .xxx to files by default

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig