Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2015, 10:40 AM

Default BUG: Big Counter disappearing

This is a bug that got introduced in PT11 where the big counter disappears. I posted this in PT11 sub forum but got no replies. I work in film scoring where we display the video on a second monitor with the Bar Beat counter overlaid for the musicians to see.

Here are the steps to reproduce:
1. open a session that has a video track
2. output a movie window to second monitor
3. open big counter and overlay over the movie (I put it in the upper right corner typically)
4. Command TAB to switch to another application and the counter disappears (goes behind the video window). When you switch back to Pro Tools, it's still gone
4a. Another way to make it disappear is to select a single ungrouped audio track in the Edit window then press "CONTROL \" to create a new playlist. When you press Enter to dismiss the window that asks you to name the playlist the counter will disappear.

Can anyone confirm this bug for me?

PT HD 11.2.2, Mac Pro OS X 10.8.5, HDX2
Old 03-23-2015, 11:33 AM

Default Re: BUG: Big Counter disappearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1m1 View Post
This is a bug that got introduced in PT11 where the big counter disappears. I posted this in PT11 sub forum but got no replies. I work in film scoring where we display the video on a second monitor with the Bar Beat counter overlaid for the musicians to see.

Here are the steps to reproduce:
1. open a session that has a video track
2. output a movie window to second monitor
3. open big counter and overlay over the movie (I put it in the upper right corner typically)
4. Command TAB to switch to another application and the counter disappears (goes behind the video window). When you switch back to Pro Tools, it's still gone
4a. Another way to make it disappear is to select a single ungrouped audio track in the Edit window then press "CONTROL \" to create a new playlist. When you press Enter to dismiss the window that asks you to name the playlist the counter will disappear.

Can anyone confirm this bug for me?

PT HD 11.2.2, Mac Pro OS X 10.8.5, HDX2
Yes this is a "new feature" in PT11. You can't put any window/plugin on the video. The video is always on top. I've been through this with Avid and the answer is that is the way it works with the new video engine.
Also clicking on the video window toggles keyboard focus off. Avid is out to lunch.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:54 PM

Well, that sucks. A feature? I'd say it's more like sloppy programming. There is no reason to want it to work that way that I can think of.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:53 AM

If I'm following this correctly, the counter is actually just behind the vid window. You can move the vid window to see it.

Also, once back in PT from another app, if you just click on the Vid window, the counter (and plug-ins) will be brought back to the top of Vid window..
Old 03-24-2015, 03:54 PM

You are following correctly, the counter is behind the vid window. I'd have to try it, but I don't think just clicking on the vid window will bring the counter window back on top. Either way, it shouldn't work like that and never has in versions previous to PT11. The musicians and composers are looking at that counter for information and it shouldn't disappear from view. Plus having to remember to click the video window each time after you create a new playlist (plus there are several other things that make it disappear)? I'm not usually looking at that window myself so I don't notice that it's gone right away.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:13 PM

Question Re: BUG: Big Counter disappearing

Has this been logged at protools.ideascale.com?
Old 03-24-2015, 05:20 PM

Not yet - I was attempting to follow the prescribed protocol of having the bug confirmed here on the forum. Now that I have confirmation I'll submit it.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:02 AM

Totally agree it should NOT happen.

But I could easily develop a long list of things PT should NOT do... but does anyway.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:19 PM

Yes, but this is a change from the previous way it behaved, that's what I'm saying. I'm having to find a workaround for something that was mostly fine in PT10 and earlier.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
Has this been logged at protools.ideascale.com?
I logged it here
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...op/154105-3779

Also posted here http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=362176