Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 03-22-2015, 07:08 AM

Default Splitting long session into shorter ones...

I have a drum tracking session, which is about 5 hours long. I'd like to save smaller portions of it to separate sessions, with separate audio files for each session (to reduce load time).

What would be the best way to do this?
Old 03-22-2015, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Splitting long session into shorter ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbond27 View Post
I have a drum tracking session, which is about 5 hours long. I'd like to save smaller portions of it to separate sessions, with separate audio files for each session (to reduce load time).

What would be the best way to do this?
1. Do a "Save As" for each session needed.
2. In each of these new sessions, edit them so that only the material you want is showing in the timeline. Then select and remove (not delete!) unused clips. You may need to do this a few times, even closing and then reopening the sessions. (this is an old "bug" that sometimes comes up)
3. Then do a Save Session Copy for each session and be sure to check the Audio Files box in the dialog.

Now you've got individual sessions, each with their own audio files folder containing only the audio needed for that session.

Once all sessions have been confirmed to open and reference their specific audio files folder, you can delete the original. I like to put the original in the trash, but DO NOT empty the trash until all verifications are complete. PT can't use a file that's in the trash, so this is a way of testing without deleting the original yet.

To minimize the files further, you could follow up by using the Compact command in the clip bin menu to trim off excess data not needed. Do this ONLY to the sessions once you made your Save Session Copy versions.

Of course for live shows, having everything in one session isn't avoidable, but for all studio work, I DO NOT share session files between songs to avoid this "hassle".

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:15 AM

Easier to select needed timeline, then hit consolidate, then remove unneeded stuff, and simply save as new session name (not save copy in). Repeat for all sessions.

The difference (compared to Drew's solution) is that all audio files and session files remain in the same master session folder structure. I do this a lot after recording a 3hour show and mixing individual songs later.

Whichever is what you want to do.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Easier to select needed timeline, then hit consolidate, then remove unneeded stuff, and simply save as new session name (not save copy in). Repeat for all sessions.

The difference (compared to Drew's solution) is that all audio files and session files remain in the same master session folder structure. I do this a lot after recording a 3hour show and mixing individual songs later.

Whichever is what you want to do.
Great suggestion Janne, but only if you're ok consolidating all your edits in the process.

My way leaves edits/fades in place. I suppose it would depend on where you were in the process.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:25 AM

Exactly. Two great suggestions :)
Old 03-22-2015, 08:22 PM

Use Region Groups. Make a region group out of each song and then export them.

Use the ALL group and select a song, press Command B ( or just B if command focus is on) this will separate the song as regions, then under the regions menu, select group. This will group all the regions for that song. Once this is done for all the songs, select export region groups from the regions pulldown menu. Pick a destination. Now you've got a region group for each song. Make new sessions and import each one into a session. You can drag your region groups from the bin and PT will remake the tracks for you. Once you've done this, simply ungroup and consolidate. This will make new files with only the parts you need for each song. Once you've done this for all and you're sure all is well, erase the original session. Sounds complicated but it's not. And I'm sure it's not the only way to do it, but it's very easy and foolproof.
HD Native PCIe
Apogee Symphony I/O
Avid HD I/O
192 I/O
Waves DLI
Apogee Mini Me
Mbox Micro