Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 12-08-2014, 03:15 AM

Default Monitoring while recording with native plugins in HD

Hey guys, just figured something out and thought I'd share. Pro Tools disables native plugins while monitoring when you are recording. I just found a workaround for this that maybe people know but maybe people don't know, hence why I'm sharing.

I went the longest time just assuming that I couldn't use plugins while I record (native at least). I used to get the monitoring to work by bussing the track to an aux and slapping the plugins on the aux. Turns out there is an even easier way to do it:

All you have to do is enable a DSP plugin first in the chain, then any native plugin after the first DSP plugin will work just fine. So dumb that this is even a discussion because it SHOULD work with or without this trick but it just doesn't. What I do is just put an Avid "EQ-III 1-band" DSP plugin on the first track with nothing enabled and then follow it with any chain of plugins that I like.

Hope this helps!
-Adrian
Old 12-08-2014, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Monitoring while recording with native plugins in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianrobison View Post
Hope this helps!
-Adrian
Thanks Adrian. This is a well known (among TDM/DSP users) "trick" that's been around for years but it's good for it to come up every now and then for new users.

Keep in mind that you will be inducing a delay that's TWICE the buffer setting since the signal leaves DSP-land and comes back.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:39 PM

it will technically work but i dont know about just fine. the latency will be absolutely horrible. using the proper tool like a TDM plug in is the only real solution
Old 12-08-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd513 View Post
it will technically work but i dont know about just fine. the latency will be absolutely horrible. using the proper tool like a TDM plug in is the only real solution
Correct, it does work, but can lead to other issues quickly if done too much, or in combination with the wrong plugins.

Something I do is convert TDM plugins to RTAS when I've finished tracking. My final mixes don't have very many TDM plugins on them, except for Aux's which we all would expect.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-09-2014, 07:37 AM

why would u use rtas instead of TDM. its just gonna make ur delay comp number skyrocket.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:58 AM

Thanks guys! Yea I'm a new HD user so this is all great information to have. Thanks so much.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
why would u use rtas instead of TDM. its just gonna make ur delay comp number skyrocket.
Not for the majority of plugs. Most Waves plugins have very little if any latency. I got used to this workflow when I only had an HD2, I could get away from doing it now with my HD3.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-09-2014, 11:18 AM

suit urself but there really is no reason to use a rtas plug in unless u dont have the TDM version or are running low on chips.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
suit urself but there really is no reason to use a rtas plug in unless u dont have the TDM version or are running low on chips.
You obviously don't have any experience with a TDM system as you would have never made that statement.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:41 PM

i have plenty of experience actually years of it. I have no idea why u would put strain on ur computer for no good reason though? why would u have HD3 if ur not gonna use the chips? thats what they are for