Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 11-03-2014, 08:48 AM

Default Does Pro Tools 11 Native have a manual latency adjustment input?

Hi,
I run Pro Tools 11 x64 Native on MOTU 896HD hardware using the MOTU ASIO driver.

It seems as if MOTU's hardware doesn't report its latency with 100% accuracy.

This seems to be common issue with some ASIO hardware, and so on my other DAWs I have the ability to add a compensation factor manually.

For example; this morning I did a loop test in 2 of my DAWs and confirmed that, while they have automatic latency compensation running, both required an additional manual compensation of 65 samples to sync up a round trip of an analog out looped back to an analog in.

I also did the same loop test with Pro Tools and see that I have the same 65 sample discrepancy.

I think I know the answer, but I figured I should ask, does Pro Tools have a place for me to provide a figure like 65 samples as an addendum to it's automatic latency compensation?

Thank You.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Does Pro Tools 11 Native have a manual latency adjustment input?

What you describe(going OUT and then back IN) is what happens with hardware inserts. The last tab of the IO setup window has a place for entering latency compensation manually for hardware inserts. I recommend reading the PT manual on this to get a better picture of how/why on this

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-03-2014, 08:57 PM

Setting a Hardware Insert Delay
Offset

You can manually compensate for the delay (la-
tency) of any external hardware devices (such as
an effects unit) used in your session, you can set
the amount of Hardware Insert Delay Compensa-
tion (in milliseconds) for each external device in
the I/O Setup. These times will be used by the De-
lay Compensation Engine to time-align input paths
when the hardware insert is in use and Delay Com-
pensation is enabled

To set an insert delay offset:

1 Choose Setup > I/O.
2 Click the H/W Insert Delaytab.
3 Type a value, in milliseconds, in the field corre-
sponding with the input where the hardware in-
sert is connected.

Insert delay offsets only have an effect when
the I/O is used for hardware inserts.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-04-2014, 03:56 AM

Ok,
Now, I think I realize how this can be incorporated into the hardware insert dialog.

I had not thought of this because I have been thinking exclusively in terms of synchronizing overdub passes, and generally have no "hardware inserts" to consider.

FWIW, I made the adjustments I am talking about in a third DAW after I posted this. The point being that in 3 of my 4 DAW installations this adjustment is made in a different dialog than their Hardware Insert dialogs, so I was looking for something similar in Pro Tools.

Now that you have suggested the hardware inserts it makes sense to me that an overdub sync process is very similar to a hardware insert and the timing issues, if not the actual timing, can be considered as the same.

I'll give that a try. I guess what I need to learn is if I can assign a 65 sample correction factor globally to my system or if I need to set one up for every channel.

Thank You!
Old 11-06-2014, 06:36 AM

I went and read about hardware inserts and I do not get how to apply the to my goal. The loop back test that I do is a hardware insert of sorts, but my goal is to have any of my 16 analog inputs sync with previously recorded music that is playing back through my main outs to monitors.

The hardware inserts docs speak of permanent combinations such as analog out 1 paired with analog in 1.

I don't want work that way. I want to be able to add an audio track, select an input and have it sync as an overdue.

I know the problem stems from the hardware and driver I am using but the problem is so common that the other three DAYs I run have a specific place to enter an offset. They also have hardware insert adjustments but one is not treated as a substitute for the other.

I am hoping I can learn a better solution.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:35 AM

You can manually enter delay comp offsets for each track in the delay comp portion of the mixer.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 06-05-2015, 08:50 AM

So, did you find a way to do this in PT or give up and use another DAW? Note that you'll probably have to change your compensation if you change buffer size too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
I went and read about hardware inserts and I do not get how to apply the to my goal. The loop back test that I do is a hardware insert of sorts, but my goal is to have any of my 16 analog inputs sync with previously recorded music that is playing back through my main outs to monitors.

The hardware inserts docs speak of permanent combinations such as analog out 1 paired with analog in 1.

I don't want work that way. I want to be able to add an audio track, select an input and have it sync as an overdue.

I know the problem stems from the hardware and driver I am using but the problem is so common that the other three DAYs I run have a specific place to enter an offset. They also have hardware insert adjustments but one is not treated as a substitute for the other.

I am hoping I can learn a better solution.