Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > RTAS & TDM Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2014, 09:58 AM

Default plugin versions?

Hi guys. My question concerns plugins. I'm on PT's9 and all my plugins, the ones that came with PT's and the others I have purchased are all RTAS. It is my understanding that these are the only compatible plugs for PT's 9. Is this correct? What are VST's and can I use them? Thanks.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:49 AM

Default Re: plugin versions?

RTAS is Digidesign/Avid's proprietary format for audio plug-ins that integrate with Pro Tools. VST is another plug-in format (from Steinberg). Natively VST format plug-ins will not work with Pro Tools. For PT 9 you can get a wrapper (FXpansion) that will allow for a large number of VST plug-ins to work with Pro Tools up to PT10. Blue Cat MB-7 mixer is another solution which hosts VST plug-ins for Pro Tools, it is compatible with PT11 as well.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 09-22-2014, 03:49 PM

Default Re: plugin versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradch00 View Post
RTAS is Digidesign/Avid's proprietary format for audio plug-ins that integrate with Pro Tools. VST is another plug-in format (from Steinberg). Natively VST format plug-ins will not work with Pro Tools. For PT 9 you can get a wrapper (FXpansion) that will allow for a large number of VST plug-ins to work with Pro Tools up to PT10. Blue Cat MB-7 mixer is another solution which hosts VST plug-ins for Pro Tools, it is compatible with PT11 as well.
FXpansion hasn't supported that wrapper for years and it's buggy as hell. I'd use either MB7-2 or Patchwork. Note that there are actually at least two VST specs - vst2 and vst3; not many developers are coding for vst3 yet.

QAPLA!