Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-16-2014, 12:42 AM

Default True FX Loop Bypass

Here's a conundrum, and I wonder if it's just the way it's designed or if it's a possible bug: I cannot truly bypass the FX loop in the 11R.

What I'm doing for my live rig is using the same guitar input for both acoustic and electrics. I have my amp for the electrics in the 4-wire hookup with the FX loop, and all electric rigs are assigned to Amp 2 out with Amp 1 out muted.

All the acoustic rigs are assigned to the Amp 1 out with Amp 2 out muted. However, when I switch to an acoustic rig and Amp 2 out is muted (verified), I still get a signal going to my amp, and that signal is coming from the 11R FX loop. I can turn down the send control of the loop, which lowers the level but it doesn't kill the send level completely.

Is there any way to truly bypass the 11R FX loop or to remove it from the signal chain?

Thanks,
Steve
Eleven Rack (live rig and studio rig!!)
Win7 * 003R * PT 11

Last edited by solidwalnut; 03-16-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:29 AM

Default Re: True FX Loop Bypass

No input, really? I can't believe someone hasn't run into this yet. In case I'm not explaining this well enough, what I'm doing is using the 11R as a switch. The electric rigs have Amp 2 out up/Amp 1 out muted, and the acoustic rigs have Amp1 out up/Amp 2 muted. But this doesn't mute the FX loop of course, which is a block all it's own within a rig. The FX loop is physically connected 11R FX Send > amp in > amp FX loop out > 11R FX Return > Amp 2 out > amp FX loop return. The acoustic rigs are designed to bypass the FX loop, but even when bypassing the FX loop and even turning down the FX loop send control, the FX loop is not completely muted. The acoustic rig is sent to Amp 1 out.

I guess I'll add this to the feature request.

In the meantime, my only recourse with this setup is to place my amp in standby when I play the acoustic.
Win7 * 003R * PT 11

Last edited by solidwalnut; 03-19-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:42 AM

Did you Check the mix knob in the fax loop menù?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christophersad View Post
Did you Check the mix knob in the fax loop menù?
Yes, I did, thank you. This makes no difference as well.
Win7 * 003R * PT 11
Old 03-20-2014, 12:25 PM

well so let me recap,even if you bypass the fx loop by hitting the front panel button (green light off) you get sound out of the send?,i really didnt ever check if the fx loop bypass shut down send pr return or both
Old 03-20-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
well so let me recap,even if you bypass the fx loop by hitting the front panel button (green light off) you get sound out of the send?,i really didnt ever check if the fx loop bypass shut down send pr return or both
Yes, unbelievable, but true. I get sound out of the send, but not at the Amp Outs, only at the FX Loop Send out in the back of the 11R. So I am left with:

1) This is just the way that the mechanical FX loop was that they modeled after and it's just the way that it is.

2) There's a bug in the program, or

3) My unit is defective
Win7 * 003R * PT 11
Old 03-20-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidwalnut View Post
Here's a conundrum, and I wonder if it's just the way it's designed or if it's a possible bug: I cannot truly bypass the FX loop in the 11R.

What I'm doing for my live rig is using the same guitar input for both acoustic and electrics. I have my amp for the electrics in the 4-wire hookup with the FX loop, and all electric rigs are assigned to Amp 2 out with Amp 1 out muted.

All the acoustic rigs are assigned to the Amp 1 out with Amp 2 out muted. However, when I switch to an acoustic rig and Amp 2 out is muted (verified), I still get a signal going to my amp, and that signal is coming from the 11R FX loop. I can turn down the send control of the loop, which lowers the level but it doesn't kill the send level completely.

Is there any way to truly bypass the 11R FX loop or to remove it from the signal chain?

Thanks,
Steve
That is working normally, and for some uses its actually nice.

You can of course just mute the inputs or outputs to whatever amps are connected to the Eleven Rack FX Loop output, if that is possible. Otherwise, if you don't want to use the FX loop out then you can position it in the rig just after the input. Hopefully the dry guitar signal that leaks there with the FX Loop out level at -12dB will be low enough not to cause problems.

Darryl
Old 03-20-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
That is working normally, and for some uses its actually nice.

You can of course just mute the inputs or outputs to whatever amps are connected to the Eleven Rack FX Loop output, if that is possible. Otherwise, if you don't want to use the FX loop out then you can position it in the rig just after the input. Hopefully the dry guitar signal that leaks there with the FX Loop out level at -12dB will be low enough not to cause problems.

Darryl
Okay, thanks. It doesn't matter where the FX loop is positioned, it still leaks. Yes, my solution is to place the amp in standby. *Sigh*, I was trying to get everything down to one button push.

Curious, though: in what cases would a leaky FX loop be good?
Win7 * 003R * PT 11
Old 03-20-2014, 01:05 PM

well theres another solution to that, you can phisically disconnect the send via a simple $5 stompbox with just 1 switch
:)
Old 03-20-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
well theres another solution to that, you can phisically disconnect the send via a simple $5 stompbox with just 1 switch
:)
Ha, I know, another switch thanks though. I guess it's good to finally hear someone say that it's just designed that way. I know how to deal with it, I just didn't want to
Win7 * 003R * PT 11