Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 PM

Default Can you still set a "low-latency" output with HD-Native in PT11?

Got no answer in the Native section of the forum, thought I'd try here--

Very curious if this option is still supposed to work in PT11. It's been one of the features of the Native card since its release, to be able to set one pair of outputs as a "no-latency" path, the way you could in LE.

My experience with it in PT10 has been very spotty, and I've seen on other posts that it's been problematic for other users as well. Some people don't even seem to realize it exists, or care to use it.

So I'm curious if anybody has tried it in their PT11 setup, and how it worked out. Thanks
Old 07-09-2013, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Can you still set a "low-latency" output with HD-Native in PT11?

It works as it did before.
You, as before, need to make sure you don't have any other busses addressing the selected 'LowLatency' outputs, other wise, the plugins of the record enabled tracks will not bypass and mute the track.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx
Old 07-10-2013, 10:16 AM

That's what I'm afraid of, that it will work "as before". I've found it be unpredictable at best, non-functional at worst. I've seen comments from people with similar issues.

I have only tried to use it having a single track in record assigned to the lo-lat pair, no inserts. No other tracks or auxes assigned to that output pair. I'm curious what you said about "plugins...not bypass(ing) and mute(ing) the track" since my problem is that I can never get it to monitor input, to pass it through so I can hear it, even when I see on the meters that the track is receiving the input properly. But again I'm not using any plugs on the record track so it's confusing. I've used the feature successfully on an LE system in the past, so I think I know how it's supposed to work.

I switched back to my old TDM system which is working great, so I don't want to go back and check again. I'm curious if anybody else can share their experiences with this if they've tried it in PT11. Thanks mattrixx for the response.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:58 PM

I think you may have missed the point of its function.

"since my problem is that I can never get it to monitor input, to pass it through so I can hear it, even when I see on the meters that the track is receiving the input properly"

This is exactly as it should be. So that it allows you to monitor directly via your hardware. ie Totalmix software if you're using RME, or the mix control on an M series interface.

It basically turns off the monitoring on a rec enable track, allowing you to monitor directly via your hardware interface.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:27 PM

Sorry, with all due respect, I have to demur…

I think the key word is "monitoring" in the phrase "low latency monitoring".

This is from the manual for the Native card:

"Pro Tools|HD Native systems can use the Low Latency
Monitoring option to record with an extremely
small amount of monitoring latency, to
as many tracks as the system supports. Only
tracks with input from an audio interface (not
an internal mix bus) use Low Latency Monitoring."

I don't think they'd use the phrase "monitoring latency" if you weren't able to monitor at all.

I have used this feature on LE systems, and on my own HD-Native card, and I have seen it work the way it's supposed to, which is to hear my recording input through the Digi-Avid hardware at extremely low (TDM-like) latency, without using any "shell" monitoring software.

Besides using LE, Native, TDM, and HDX systems, I've also experienced the flip scenario using a Duet with Maestro software so I'm familiar with that way of working as well.

I just saw another thread today from somebody experiencing the same issue I'm having. It's been working intermittently at best in PT10, and my original post was really trying to find out if they've fixed it in 11, or just ignored it, hoping everybody will be happy with the new 32 sample buffer option.

I know my sig says I've got a TDM setup, but I've also got the Native card waiting in the wings for when the 3rd-party plugs catch up, and I'm sure about some of these other issues!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:57 PM

Yes, on the 002 & 003 series and the HD Native system, it is handled in much the same way as I described. Of course it has to be enabled.

In ProTools 11, you can run your buffer down lower, but the option is still there for the 'LowLatency' monitoring, which routes the input to the chosen pair of monitoring outs, as it did before.

I haven't had any problems with it and in answer to the original question, it is still there and still the same.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
It basically turns off the monitoring on a rec enable track, allowing you to monitor directly via your hardware interface.
Sorry maybe I got confused by that response, where you said it "turns off the monitoring".

Quote:
but the option is still there for the 'LowLatency' monitoring, which routes the input to the chosen pair of monitoring outs, as it did before.
This in fact is what I think is supposed to happen. It doesn't turn it off, it reroutes it. The point is that this wasn't working all the time in PT10 (when I ran the Native card).

But it sounds like you've had a good experience with it. Are you running PT11? With an Avid interface, or an RME?

thanks
Old 07-10-2013, 07:02 PM

I m running both HD Native and RME UFX systems. It works flawlessly on both. However, you need to make sure there are not duplicate paths, or extra assignments in the buss settings of I/O, or the whole thing doesn't work as it should.

Also, running PT10HD and PT11HD. The latter, is only really in testing phase for me, as my chosen plugins aren't available as yet.

I've found that most things behave exactly the same between 10 & 11, though just recently, I've noticed that the throughput latency (not in LLM) with the UFX has reached the capabilities of the HD Native. I find this amazing as the UFX is a USB2 device. They've really got the drivers nailed at RME. (Note: I'm on 2008 3,1 8 Core MacPro and can only run PT11HD down to 128 samples in the input buffer before it craps out). In logic for example I can run at 32 samples before sessions get too large.

I've been really disappointed with the HD Native and OMNI solution, as it's incredibly inflexible (compared to Totalmix on the UFX) and the OMNI itself is quite noisy once the fan kicks in. Strangely, the design doesn't allow you to address the pre-amps from ProTools itself, which is a kind of strange omission IMO.

Regards,
Matt
Old 07-10-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I m running both HD Native and RME UFX systems. It works flawlessly on both. However, you need to make sure there are not duplicate paths, or extra assignments in the buss settings of I/O, or the whole thing doesn't work as it should.
Does that include having the same input selected on another track, even if that track isn't in record? I probably have a number of tracks in each of my sessions coming from the same input chain, since I'm overdubbing a lot through the same preamp.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:41 PM

Yes, that works just fine here.

As I mentioned (though probably not all that clearly), it only goes weird when there's other busses in the I/O setup that are routing to the chosen LLM path.

Simple test is to have plugins on your record track and if they don't automatically go into bypass mode (all of them) when you rec enable the track, you have a problem with the way the paths are setup in the busses.