Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 05-07-2013, 06:53 PM

Default Shared folder error

It seems that Pro Tools creates 'shared folders' for sessions by default. Moving/etc. these folders results in the following error message. Why does Pro Tools create shared folders and how can it be disabled?

Quote:
[Window Title]
Sharing

[Main Instruction]
This folder is shared with other people

[Content]
If you move this folder, it will no longer be shared.

Folder: C:\...
Share Name: ...

[Continue] [Cancel]
Pro Tools 10.3.5, Windows 7 64-bit

Last edited by cmhawke; 05-08-2013 at 08:24 AM. Reason: clarification: regarding sessions
Old 05-08-2013, 04:24 AM

Default Re: Shared folder error

Quote:
Originally Posted by apt View Post
It seems that Pro Tools creates 'shared folders' by default. Moving/etc. these folders results in the following error message. Why does Pro Tools create shared folders and how can it be disabled?

Pro Tools 10.3.5, Windows 7 64-bit
Why is this an issue?
Don't think they can be disabled.
Best to let an installer do what it needs to do. These folders are created for a reason and no one has ever had an issue with them existing before. If you're worried about the drive space these folders take up then you need a bigger drive.

QAPLA!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Why is this an issue?
Don't think they can be disabled.
Best to let an installer do what it needs to do. These folders are created for a reason and no one has ever had an issue with them existing before. If you're worried about the drive space these folders take up then you need a bigger drive.
I'm not talking about the program folders created during installation; I mean the folders created during sessions. People have definitely had issues with these before, which is not surprising since session folders are often moved around, changed, etc., and messing with them can cost a lot of time and hassle:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=246273
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=247402
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=329481

I've used other DAWs and they have never created shared folders for sessions. There does not seem to be any good reason to create them. If there's no option to disable the creation of shared folders in Pro Tools, it just seems like a bug. Where is the official place to report issues like this so that developers can take a look at it?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I'm not talking about the program folders created during installation; I mean the folders created during sessions. People have definitely had issues with these before, which is not surprising since session folders are often moved around, changed, etc., and messing with them can cost a lot of time and hassle:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=246273
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=247402
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=329481

I've used other DAWs and they have never created shared folders for sessions. There does not seem to be any good reason to create them. If there's no option to disable the creation of shared folders in Pro Tools, it just seems like a bug. Where is the official place to report issues like this so that developers can take a look at it?
You have your answer in the second thread you cite - don't save your sessions on your system drive but have PT save them to a separate drive. Doesn't happen on a Mac but only on Windoze apparently. So it's not a bug as such but an anomaly that only happens under certain circumstances that Avid recommends against and that is working with PT sessions on your system drive. Separate partitions don't/won't help either.

QAPLA!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
You have your answer in the second thread you cite - don't save your sessions on your system drive but have PT save them to a separate drive. Doesn't happen on a Mac but only on Windoze apparently. So it's not a bug as such but an anomaly that only happens under certain circumstances that Avid recommends against and that is working with PT sessions on your system drive. Separate partitions don't/won't help either.
In other words, still a bug. AFAIK, the system drive, i.e. the computer, is by far the most common place people save stuff on. Anyway, I think I've found a bug report form of sorts so we'll see if that does anything.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
In other words, still a bug. AFAIK, the system drive, i.e. the computer, is by far the most common place people save stuff on. Anyway, I think I've found a bug report form of sorts so we'll see if that does anything.
It is not a bug, separate drive is the proper way to manage data for DAWs and NLEs

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-08-2013, 02:16 PM

After testing, it looks like more specifically, it's caused by PT sessions being shared to the user 'Everyone' by default. I just checked the Mac version and it also shares to the user 'everyone'. The main difference with Windows is the error message that appears whenever a session folder is changed in some way. This is the first program I've used that I now know shares to 'Everyone'/'everyone' and not just the current user. I'm not sure what the reason is, but an option to disable it might be nice. :)
Old 05-08-2013, 02:22 PM

the shared folders are for having more than one user account on the machine (it's the way all modern OSs are doing it)

you should have the Primary Administrative account that is only used for installing software and system maintenance, day to day usage should have it's own account and if you have more than one user each user can have there own account with some personal tweaks

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-08-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
No it isn't a bug if you're following proper procedure for working with Pro Tools. Hard drives are cheap nowadays and there's no excuse for running PT sessions to the system drive. System drive might be a common place for people to save their Word or Excel documents to and the pictures from their smartphone but that's about it. PT has a certain set of rules that have to be followed for success in recording. Don't follow those rules and you'll have problems that other people don't have.

QAPLA!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
the shared folders are for having more than one user account on the machine (it's the way all modern OSs are doing it)

you should have the Primary Administrative account that is only used for installing software and system maintenance, day to day usage should have it's own account and if you have more than one user each user can have there own account with some personal tweaks
Tried a standard (non-admin) account type on both Mac and Windows, and folders are still shared to said user. I guess I'll just use the permission-tweaking procedure for now.

Quote:
No it isn't a bug if you're following proper procedure for working with Pro Tools. Hard drives are cheap nowadays and there's no excuse for running PT sessions to the system drive. System drive might be a common place for people to save their Word or Excel documents to and the pictures from their smartphone but that's about it. PT has a certain set of rules that have to be followed for success in recording. Don't follow those rules and you'll have problems that other people don't have.
I have plenty of external hard drive estate, but I like keeping local copies in addition to external copies. Of course, I'm starting to get now that PT is designed differently from other DAWs in that it's explicitly intended to be run mostly externally, so that's just something that I may have to get used to.

Cheers.