Avid Pro Audio Community




Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post | Community Terms of Use | Avid.com Home Page

Google the Forum | Search Knowledge Base | Search Avid.com

Find Support | Support FAQ | Avid Support How To Video Series

Software Updates, Drivers, Manuals, Compatibility, Optimize, Troubleshoot, etc. (Links)

Please post your message once only to the correct forum
Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!



Pro Tools 11 Information


Avid at AES Los Angeles 2014





Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-16-2013, 10:12 AM
rus5 rus5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 180
Default Altiverb 7 and AAX-DSP

I sent "Audio Ease" an email a few days ago asking them if they were ever going to port Altiverb 7 to AAX-DSP. I quickly received the candid response from Aram Verwoest directly quoted below (with their permission):

"Thanks for your message. We are currently working closely with AVID to find out how we can accomplish this (Altiverb AAX DSP). This is because the current AAX DSP infrastructure is not ready for a plug-in with the capabilities like Altiverb TDM. This is a large project and will take serious development time. Altiverb 7 AAX Native will therefore come first, to make sure everyone can keep on using Altiverb 7 (also in Pro Tools 11 and on). But do rest assured, we are working on AAX DSP."

So of course its great news that they intend to support AAX-DSP once they figure out how to do it. But the rest of it is absolutely amazing !! They're specifically saying that not only is it hard to write to AAX-DSP contradicting the story Avid has been telling everyone from the beginning ("... will take serious development time"), but it's "not ready for a plug-in the capabilities like Altiverb TDM" !!! Meaning, as it stands, HDX isn't even capable of supporting what HD can, at least in this case!! Think of all the things Avid has told us (especially at the PT10 launch) that this direct measurement of reality contradicts.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-16-2013, 10:51 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 6,697
Default Re: Altiverb 7 and AAX-DSP

If writing for AAX dsp is so difficult how can a one man shop like McDSP be coming out with their AAX stuff so quickly? Altiverb is dragging their feet just like they always do. At least, as you say, it's a good sign they are at least working on AAX native.
__________________
Jack
27" mid 2011 iMac, 3.4 GHz quad core i7, 32 gig ram, OSX 10.8.5
2 TB internal drive, 2 TB Glyph GPT50 drive via Tbolt to FW800 for samples, 2 TB Glyph GPT50 FW800 drive for PT, 4 TB LaCie Tbolt drive backup

PT 10.3.9, PT 11.2.1, 11R for audio I/O, MOTU MTPAV USB

Any musicman691 postings on non-PT related sites are NOT me

NRA Life Member

Never sacrifice who you are just because someone has a problem with it
Qapla!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-16-2013, 11:15 AM
rus5 rus5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 180
Default Re: Altiverb 7 and AAX-DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
If writing for AAX dsp is so difficult how can a one man shop like McDSP be coming out with their AAX stuff so quickly? Altiverb is dragging their feet just like they always do. At least, as you say, it's a good sign they are at least working on AAX native.
Based on what Avid was saying at the PT10 launch around Thanksgiving 2011, McDSP's Colin McDowell and therefore everyone else expected they'd have ported that entire line by the end of Q2 2012 at the latest. Instead it turned out to be HUGELY more difficult than he thought which is why we're nearly a year and a half into it and he still has only released about 1/2 of them. McDSP is definitely not "coming out with their AAX stuff so quickly" by even the wildest stretch of the imagination.

And Massey, and UA, and Flux::, and URS, and East West, and Sonnox, and Antares, and Melodyne, and Sound Toys, and Eventide, and Lexicon, and on and on and on are ALSO just under a year and a half out making slow if any progress. Only a couple of those companies have even gotten their FIRST AAX-DSP port out. iZotope is saying they probably won't EVER take it on (which is especially bad news). Avid themselves sold their own entire "Air" line rather than port them to AAX, let alone AAX-DSP. And of course, the most important of them all, Waves, threw in the towel completely and isn't going to port any of their plugs to AAX-DSP at all. Ever. They specifically said they gave up because porting to AAX-DSP was too difficult. There is absolutely no case whatsoever that porting to AAX-DSP is not difficult.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-16-2013, 02:26 PM
musicman691 musicman691 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 6,697
Default Re: Altiverb 7 and AAX-DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus5 View Post
Based on what Avid was saying at the PT10 launch around Thanksgiving 2011, McDSP's Colin McDowell and therefore everyone else expected they'd have ported that entire line by the end of Q2 2012 at the latest. Instead it turned out to be HUGELY more difficult than he thought which is why we're nearly a year and a half into it and he still has only released about 1/2 of them. McDSP is definitely not "coming out with their AAX stuff so quickly" by even the wildest stretch of the imagination.
You are refusing to acknowledge that Colin is coming out with his stuff way faster than Audio Ease. He's got more stuff to port than AE who only have what 2 plugs? Colin already has AAX native and has public beta AAX dsp as I understand it. So it's taking longer than some want but still it's happening for some plugin vendors who aren't afraid to get their elbows dirty with code. The difficulty isn't what's really holding AE back; like a lot of vendors they don't see the need to get AAX and AAX dsp out now.
__________________
Jack
27" mid 2011 iMac, 3.4 GHz quad core i7, 32 gig ram, OSX 10.8.5
2 TB internal drive, 2 TB Glyph GPT50 drive via Tbolt to FW800 for samples, 2 TB Glyph GPT50 FW800 drive for PT, 4 TB LaCie Tbolt drive backup

PT 10.3.9, PT 11.2.1, 11R for audio I/O, MOTU MTPAV USB

Any musicman691 postings on non-PT related sites are NOT me

NRA Life Member

Never sacrifice who you are just because someone has a problem with it
Qapla!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-16-2013, 03:02 PM
groundcontrol's Avatar
groundcontrol groundcontrol is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 818
Default Altiverb 7 and AAX-DSP

I wonder how many people are still on Altiverb 6. I know for a fact *not* everybody upgraded to 7.
__________________
Can you please send yourself over fiber to go spam some other forum?

Darryl Ramm
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-16-2013, 04:02 PM
TOM@METRO's Avatar
TOM@METRO TOM@METRO is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 13,559
Default Re: Altiverb 7 and AAX-DSP

Convolution reverbs are not the same as typical plug-ins. They require a ton of memory and perhaps chip sharing. The work done on making this function on TDM is not easily translated to HDX. With HDX you first solidify Native and then go to work on DSP. I do not recall AVID ever saying that convolution reverbs (DSP) were anticipated as easy or commonplace in HDX systems, especially not this close to introduction.
__________________
~ tom thomas

Formerly hobotom
No.1 on Wish List... Track Freeze

Pro Tools 11.2.1 (11.1.3 for clients) ~HDX~HDN
HD Omni +192 I/O
Intel Hexcore i7, SSD
Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
MOTU 24 I/O W/PCI 424
Outboard, UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-17-2013, 01:07 PM
rus5 rus5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 180
Default Re: Altiverb 7 and AAX-DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Convolution reverbs are not the same as typical plug-ins. They require a ton of memory and perhaps chip sharing. The work done on making this function on TDM is not easily translated to HDX. With HDX you first solidify Native and then go to work on DSP. I do not recall AVID ever saying that convolution reverbs (DSP) were anticipated as easy or commonplace in HDX systems, especially not this close to introduction.
That's not what he said. Again, what he said was: "This is because the current AAX DSP infrastructure is not ready for a plug-in with the capabilities like Altiverb TDM." - please note the word "infrastructure". He's pointing directly to the HDX "infrastructure" compared to the HD "infrastructure", not how hard it is to write in general relative to other types of plugins. I assure you, if you had asked Avid at the PT10/HDX rollout if the HDX "infrastructure" would or would not support convolution reverb plugins (or any plugins) as well as HD, they would have told you it absolutely would - far better than HD. Go watch the roll-out videos on YouTube, they're still there (last I checked anyway), and see if you don't agree.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-17-2013, 01:55 PM
crizdee's Avatar
crizdee crizdee is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brighton, UK
Posts: 9,874
Default Re: Altiverb 7 and AAX-DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus5 View Post
That's not what he said. Again, what he said was: "This is because the current AAX DSP infrastructure is not ready for a plug-in with the capabilities like Altiverb TDM." - please note the word "infrastructure". He's pointing directly to the HDX "infrastructure" compared to the HD "infrastructure", not how hard it is to write in general relative to other types of plugins. I assure you, if you had asked Avid at the PT10/HDX rollout if the HDX "infrastructure" would or would not support convolution reverb plugins (or any plugins) as well as HD, they would have told you it absolutely would - far better than HD. Go watch the roll-out videos on YouTube, they're still there (last I checked anyway), and see if you don't agree.
Hi,

I would lie to know exactly what he means by infrastructure? As I think this is probably what Tom is referring to! Especially the amount of memory required for convolution reverbs. TL Space would use 6 DSP chips! So maybe they need to spread the memory across multiple chips and there would lye the difficulty I think. But is that infrastructure?

Chris
__________________
PT MAC Troubleshooting... http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=54888

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering E-Mixing & Mastering facility
www.ukmastering.com


PT10.3.7 Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 Control 24 Harpertown 8-core UAD-2 Quad / SSL Duende Native. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, Solid State Logic VHD, Anthony De Mario ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-21-2013, 01:56 AM
Marsdy Marsdy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England
Posts: 930
Default Re: Altiverb 7 and AAX-DSP

Thanks doing this rus. Altiverb is an essential plug-in for me so it's good to hear it will make it to HDX albeit with a long wait! It's less encouraging to hear yet another company is having difficulties optimising for HDX

With TDM, the longer the reverb time the more chips Altiverb takes up. I was told this was because of the very limited amount of memory available per 56k chip. There is 4x the amount of memory per chip with HDX so you would have thought this would be less of an issue.
__________________
Dave Marsden
UK
Avid HD3,C|24,192I/O, Pro Tools HD 10.2, Westmere 6 Core/24GB RAM/OSX 10.7.4
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-21-2013, 02:25 AM
Emcha_audio's Avatar
Emcha_audio Emcha_audio is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: canada
Posts: 4,575
Default Re: Altiverb 7 and AAX-DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus5 View Post
And Massey, and UA, and Flux::, and URS, and East West, and Sonnox, and Antares, and Melodyne, and Sound Toys, and Eventide, and Lexicon, and on and on and on are ALSO just under a year and a half out making slow if any progress. Only a couple of those companies have even gotten their FIRST AAX-DSP port out. iZotope is saying they probably won't EVER take it on (which is especially bad news). Avid themselves sold their own entire "Air" line rather than port them to AAX, let alone AAX-DSP. And of course, the most important of them all, Waves, threw in the towel completely and isn't going to port any of their plugs to AAX-DSP at all. Ever. They specifically said they gave up because porting to AAX-DSP was too difficult. There is absolutely no case whatsoever that porting to AAX-DSP is not difficult.
Avid sold the Air team, true. But they do have a deal with iNMusic that will have them continue working on the Air plugin line that is with Pro tools, which does mean AAX versions of the plugs, only remains to be seen if they will be DSP but I'd suspect they will since it's probably part of the deal, although I have no firm information about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Thanks doing this rus. Altiverb is an essential plug-in for me so it's good to hear it will make it to HDX albeit with a long wait! It's less encouraging to hear yet another company is having difficulties optimising for HDX

With TDM, the longer the reverb time the more chips Altiverb takes up. I was told this was because of the very limited amount of memory available per 56k chip. There is 4x the amount of memory per chip with HDX so you would have thought this would be less of an issue.
If this is the issue, then it's not an issue of Ram amount anymore, its the fact that their plugin is coded to use more dsp chips to compensate for the lack of ram. They should rewrite their plugin the other way around, Use less dsp chips but more direct ram.
__________________
Manny.

Emcha_audio ->J'emcha_audio-> J'emcha l'audio-> J'aimecha l'audio-> J'aime ça l'audio. Gotta know french to get it
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Altiverb 7 Regular & Altiverb 7 XL for sale Milamber Buy & Sell 4 02-20-2014 08:24 AM
Altiverb AAX64 ? Altiverb->DDMF metaplugin Paul Turpin AAX Plug-ins 5 11-22-2013 02:59 PM
Altiverb 7 JMDNYC Pro Tools Post & Surround 7 01-21-2010 07:39 AM
Altiverb 5.0.5 K.I. Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 0 05-04-2005 04:26 AM
Altiverb 5 Fokke van Saane Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 13 04-04-2005 11:46 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com