Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2011, 07:50 AM

Default ASIO Reset Request

Has there been anymore development with the ASIO Reset Request with some 3rd party interfaces?

I have a TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48 and this is becoming increasingly annoying and making it very difficult to work, along with countless other problems I have been having since upgrading from 9 to 10.

I found this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
No, this is not the case - at least not with every 3rd party interface.

The problem is partially Pro Tools, partially the device drivers. The restart is only required in cases where Pro Tools gets an ASIO reset request from the driver. Why some devices require this we have not had time to fully investigate, but it's something we're looking into. Since some devices do these reset requests, we're also looking at way to optimize Pro Tools streaming so that it can handle these reset requests gracefully.
In this thread: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=288268&page=2

where DTS says its being looked into. That post is almost a year old now so I am wondering if it is still being looked into or if there has been any developments with it. Has anybody found a work around for this in Windows 7?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:03 AM

Default Re: ASIO Reset Request

Does anybody know anything about this? DigiTechSupt, care to chime in here?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:34 AM

Anything?
Old 11-17-2011, 07:45 AM

One more time. DTS care to look into this?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:35 PM

bump, please. Alesis mastercontrol and high frustration. does this also with motu 896hd.

DTS?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:50 AM

Another one. TC Impact Twin.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:55 AM

Lots of different PC hardware combinations are possible. You for sure will get ASIO errors if your PC is configured to use "system sounds." These should be disabled. This is not a unique problem to Pro Tools. The ASIO protocol has been around (for me anyway...) for about a decade, so the weirdness is most likely caused by the system sound card competing for an "interrupt" with a DAW card or interface. Built-in sound cards sometimes operate at 32MHz (instead of 44.1 or 48, etc.), so when Windows says, "play a beep whenever the user tries to enter an invalid selection" (which in "DOS" was CTRL-G), ASIO will be funkified and not know what the correct sample rate is supposed to be.

To make things more complicated, there are different FW and USB interfaces, both on-board and add-on, that can muck up digital audio.

If all this seems needlessly complex, it is back to the argument "I'm a Mac!" vs PC open technology.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
Lots of different PC hardware combinations are possible. You for sure will get ASIO errors if your PC is configured to use "system sounds." These should be disabled. This is not a unique problem to Pro Tools. The ASIO protocol has been around (for me anyway...) for about a decade, so the weirdness is most likely caused by the system sound card competing for an "interrupt" with a DAW card or interface. Built-in sound cards sometimes operate at 32MHz (instead of 44.1 or 48, etc.), so when Windows says, "play a beep whenever the user tries to enter an invalid selection" (which in "DOS" was CTRL-G), ASIO will be funkified and not know what the correct sample rate is supposed to be.

To make things more complicated, there are different FW and USB interfaces, both on-board and add-on, that can muck up digital audio.

If all this seems needlessly complex, it is back to the argument "I'm a Mac!" vs PC open technology.
No system sound at all, my TC card is disabled in sound option panel. Sound chip and 1394 is Bios disabled, using Siig card. Still same problem. If I change to my mbox or m-audio fw410 (with a very old driver) it works flawless. I wont tell what I think about that.....
Old 01-03-2012, 06:03 PM

I also havent used system sounds in years. My main concern is Cubase doesnt have this issue, so it is clearly up to Avid to sort this out. I love protools, but stability is king for me. If this gets sorted Cubase is up for sale, but until then i need to keep it around for stable tracking.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:56 PM

I have a separate thread posted, but I'm having problems using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 which is supposed to be compatible with PT 9/10. If I start PT10 with my MAudio Fastrack Ultra 8R, I get the error message "ASIO Device Properties Have Been Changed by the dvice control panel. Pro Tools must be restarted for changes to take effect". I restart PT10 and it's happy with the Fastrack Ultra 8R. However, if I start PT10 with the Saffire Pro 40, I get a pop up message to change, and I change to "Saffire" then I get the message about ASIO Device properties have been changed and to restart Pro Tools. I restart Pro Tools but get the exact same error message and can't get any further with the Saffire Pro 40. If I go back to the Fastrack Ultra 8R, I get the error message the first time I start PT, I restart it and it's "happy".

Fortunately I have a 30 day trial version of PT10 and I got it to see if my Saffire Pro 40 would work OK, and unless someone can sort this out I won't be upgrading from MP9 to the full PT10. I can use my Saffire Pro 40 without problems in Sonar.

Member of Nashville R.O.P.E. Assn.