Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 10-22-2011, 01:45 AM

Default Digi 003+ Rack, Driver Not Working

All,
I want to apologize in advance that I do not know the appropriate forum category to post this issue. I am a new owner of a used Digi 003+ Rack having purchased it used recently. I was very excited to use it with my PC (Windows 7) and the DAWs that I own including Cubase 3sx and Studio One Pro. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be working and I am not even sure where to begin for support. I would appreciate any and all insight from forum users and/or Avid support members if even just to know who to contact.

All the information I found in my initial research was that the Digi products worked in a PC environment and on Windows 7 as well as on 3rd party DAWs. I actually found the Windows Standalone driver on the Avid site in advance of my purchase and all indications were that I would be able to use it as such.

After installing the standalone driver successfully and restarting, I cannot open it within either of my DAWs and when I select it (Digi 003 shown within the dropdown where other sound devices are) within the control panels of each DAW, I receive and unkown error' (Cubase) and a 'failed to start, check hardware configuration' (Studio One). I am not opposed to using Pro Tools but I did not plan on this investment - please tell me if this is absolutely the only way I can use the Digi 003+ Rack product. Also, the lights on the SYNC section are blinking very lightly and slowly and the HOST/1394 light is not on - is this an indication that the hardware is not fully working or powered? I do have the firewire plugged in as well as the AC properly connected. Finally, the other lights on the channels fully illuminate when selected (hardware issue?).

I have run across the issues others with Pro Tools 9 have had using the Digi 003 but again, I am not using Pro Tools.

If at all possible, I would prefer using it with my current DAW. Any and all insight is respectfully requested and appreciated, admittedly, I am new to Digi, and have been only a windows and related hardware user having recorded successfully with many hardware devices since 2002. I thought by now given advances in cross platform recording that now would be a good time to try but I am doubting my decision and hope not to be out the expense of the hardware.

Thank you!
-Rich

I am using the following driver:
Standalone Windows Audio Drivers v8.0.3

System info:
Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor: Intel Quad Core Q6600 @2.4Ghz
RAM: 2Gb

Other sound cards installed:
Delta 66 OMNI I/O
Presonus Firestudio
Mackie Onyx 1640
Old 10-22-2011, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Digi 003+ Rack, Driver Not Working

I've never tried to use my 003r with another DAW so I can't help there.

The blinking 1934 and sync lights are simply an indicator that the unit is up, running, recognized by the OS and waiting for connection with the DAW.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the response, just to clarify, the 1394 light (FireWire) is not on at all. Only the three SYNC lights are dimly blinking. Is this an indicator of a FireWire problem?
Old 10-22-2011, 09:07 AM

I've never seen that with mine, sounds like a possible hardware problem?
Old 10-22-2011, 12:23 PM

Ok, had someone locally tell me that the blinking lights on the SYNC section are just indications the unit is powered on. He said the host light (1394) will not come on until the digi and pc recognize each other. He went on to say that Avid boxes likely require more steps trying to set up the unit but could not recall everyone for pc set up. Are there any PC users that have tips on tricky installs? Specific drivers used, order of powering up hardware, FireWire card issues, network card issues, etc. Anything you all have had to overcome to get the Digi to sync with the PC could help.

Thanks,
-Rich
Old 10-22-2011, 07:07 PM

Ok, I just tried installing on Windows XP and i have the same issue - no FireWire light on the front and still cannot open the driver inside the DAW, it fails to launch. Again, it does show the hardware Digi 003 in the devices tab. I have read that I need to disable system sounds but am not sure how, will that help?

Again, any insight is appreciated, surely there are other Digi users on windows not using pro tools...even so, seems unrelated to PT.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:05 AM

Talking Re: Digi 003+ Rack, Driver Not Working

Ok, problem of deiver not functioning is resolved! Turns out that the newest driver for the Digi 002/003 family for Pro Tools v9.0.2.65 is the savior. I read about the fixes in this version on the sticky but had not attempted to install because I was still under the impression the non Pro Tools users had to use a standalone Windows driver. Hopefully this helps others that had this issue or is new to the Digi family such as I.

Also, I will mention that I am very impressed win the Digi 003+ given I purchased one with the Black Lion Signature Mods. I have yet to record but playback on older recordings with Mackie Onyx and Presonus Firestudio rigs is well beyond that which I have been used to. Can't wait to record with it.

Any tips on optimization would be great, it does appear to be more of a CPU and disk hog but I will search the forums for this info as well.

Cheers!