Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 09-04-2011, 05:32 PM

Default 11R updating Firmware Windows 7

I'm trying to get the latest firmware for 11R 1.0.3. Unfortunately, the firmware updater crashes on my Windows 7 PC. Any workarounds available?
Old 09-04-2011, 07:50 PM

Default Re: 11R updating Firmware Windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrockbridge View Post
I'm trying to get the latest firmware for 11R 1.0.3. Unfortunately, the firmware updater crashes on my Windows 7 PC. Any workarounds available?
Can you be more specific please.

Are you trying to install 1.0.3 Firmware

OR

Get the latest Firmware (2.0.1 aka the ERXP)

What code/message are you getting when the updater crashes?

Do you have Internet Explorer 9 installed?

Is the Eleven Rack plugged in via USB directly to the PC (NO HUBS)

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-05-2011, 12:19 AM

As I said, I'm trying to update to Firmware 1.0.3. The 11R is plugged in via USB. I do have IE9 but I don't use it. I downloaded the firmware update file with Google Chrome. Then, I unzipped the file in Windows 7 and ran the application program. It starts off ok but then crashes with an error message from windows that says something like, "Firmware Updater has stopped working...Do you want to close the program or look for an online for a solution?' Either choice goes nowhere.

I did just read that there is non-compatibility with IE9 but I'm not sure I understand why that would even matter since I don't use IE. I use Chrome. Still, I suppose I can remove IE9 and install IE8. Does the Firmware Updater try to open IE or something?
Old 09-05-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
I did just read that there is non-compatibility with IE9 but I'm not sure I understand why that would even matter since I don't use IE. I use Chrome. Still, I suppose I can remove IE9 and install IE8. Does the Firmware Updater try to open IE or something?
I would start with uninstalling IE9. Whether or not you actually use IE9 in practice is of no consequence. Internet Explorer is intimately tied into Windows, which i wont go into here.

So start by uninstalling IE9. Go to Control Panel> Programs & Features, and uninstall IE9, IE8 'should' automatically be reinstated. Re-boot, then try the updater again. Make sure to RIGHT CLICK the installer and choose Run As Administrator instead of just double clicking.

If IE9 is in fact the problem, once you uninstall it and install the update, you can then re-install IE9 - just keep in mind if you decide to purchase the ERXP (which you should consider IMO) then you will need to uninstall IE9 again in order to install the ERXP firmware 2.0.1, barring of course a fix for the IE9/ERXP conflict.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-05-2011, 11:43 PM

This is now solved. Here's how...

I tried uninstalling IE9 and loading again via Google Chrome...no go. Then, I realized, the firmware updater is probably incompatible with Chrome as well is IE9. So, I figured I specifically needed to run the Firmware Updater via IE8. So, I did a system restore back to right before I updated to IE9...effectively rolling back to IE8. Then, I downloaded the Firmware Update from within IE8 and ran the application. Bingo! FYI, all this was done with 11R on and plugged into PC via USB.

Next, I figured that my window of opportunity was perfect for the Expansion Pack. So, I logged into Avid and purchased the EREXP...all through IE8, of course. Bingo again! It worked without a hitch. I love it when a plan comes together.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:10 AM

Glad you got it working, and good choice to purchase the ERXP.

I just want to say that what Browser you use to download the updater should not matter. I downloaded the ERXP with Chrome and it ran fine. Same for the 1.0.3 updater.

I would not suggest anyone Roll back their PC as they may be uninstalling other programs and updates , only do this as a last resort.

Can you tell me what you mean by "from within IE8 and ran the application" ?

Not sure why uninstalling IE9 did not fix the problem for you. Did you do this through Programs and Features? Then RESTART the PC before continuing?
In my experience this has worked when IE9 was the culprit.

My guess would be that after you uninstalled IE9 some of the changes to the registry were still residing in the Registry.

If there happens to be some sort of incompatibility with the most up-to-date version of Chrome, this should be checked out by Avid. I personally have not seen it.

Glad you got it worked out

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-06-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Glad you got it working, and good choice to purchase the ERXP.

I just want to say that what Browser you use to download the updater should not matter. I downloaded the ERXP with Chrome and it ran fine. Same for the 1.0.3 updater.

I would not suggest anyone Roll back their PC as they may be uninstalling other programs and updates , only do this as a last resort.

Can you tell me what you mean by "from within IE8 and ran the application" ?

Not sure why uninstalling IE9 did not fix the problem for you. Did you do this through Programs and Features? Then RESTART the PC before continuing?
In my experience this has worked when IE9 was the culprit.

My guess would be that after you uninstalled IE9 some of the changes to the registry were still residing in the Registry.

If there happens to be some sort of incompatibility with the most up-to-date version of Chrome, this should be checked out by Avid. I personally have not seen it.

Glad you got it worked out
I agree that the browser should not matter. It had to be a W7 registry issue.

I wasn't able to uninstall IE9 from Control Panel because that program did not show up in the list. I unchecked a box next to IE9 via W7 as instructed on the MS website. This was supposed to uninstall IE9 and roll back to IE8...or, so I thought. Instead, IE was effectively gone. Then, I rebooted the PC and tried to run the Avid app....no go. So, I tried downloading the file again via Chrome thinking it might have gotten corrupted in download but got the same result when trying to run it.

I had just updated to IE9 a day before, so it wasn't a big deal for me to restore to a day earlier. I did not mean to say that I ran the app from within IE8, I meant that I downloaded the file from the website using IE8. Once the file had downloaded, I clicked on it and ran the app.

At that point, since everything was working, I decided to download the ERXP before some future W7 update changed the registry and rendered the Avid software powerless once more.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I did not mean to say that I ran the app from within IE8, I meant that I downloaded the file from the website using IE8. Once the file had downloaded, I clicked on it and ran the app.
oh ok, that makes sense.

Quote:
I wasn't able to uninstall IE9 from Control Panel because that program did not show up in the list.
Yes you are correct. I should have been more clear.

You go to Programs & Features

Then in the upper left corner, click on - View Installed Updates

Locate Internet Explorer 9

Click/Choose it and click Uninstall on the upper tool bar

OR Right Click the IE9 entry and choose Uninstall.

Quote:
I decided to download the ERXP
Good choice, the ERXP adds so much more versatility to the 11R.

The ERXP takes the 11R to the next level for sure.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-06-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post

Good choice, the ERXP adds so much more versatility to the 11R.

The ERXP takes the 11R to the next level for sure.
I had a chance to play with it a bit today and I'm impressed. I like the speaker breakup feature. I played the '68 Marshall Super Lead and '93 Matchless DC30 a lot today....nice! I'm glad to have a bunch of new speaker cabs.