Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-26-2011, 10:18 AM

Default Phase issues with multiple lav mics

Hello all

I've got a segment of a show that has 12 lav mics and a boom mic. There is a downmixed version provided by the location mixer but it has been very poor - either due to an import error or mistake. For the past 3 episodes of this show I have been aligning everything manually. But now I am beginning to wonder if there is any plugin that might be able to help speeding up the process.

Would anyone know anything?!

Thasks
Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Phase issues with multiple lav mics

And why do you have all mics up?
Either use the boom or pic your lab.

Living the dream.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:56 AM

This is a part of a game show. There are eight contestants running around, two presenters and a guest. Boom mic is not in the tracks I have received and I am trying to create a nice hubbub from the contestants while the presenters and guest are commenting.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:16 PM

I get this all the time from the video editors. They slip the mics out of sync with each other. Its a real drag.

So far I know of no plug in that can fix this except the plug in called my ears and a lot of time.

lucky for me it doesn't happen too often and when it does its only a scene or two not the whole show.

I would talk to the producer and try and explain the problem or better yet get a hold of who ever is causing the problem in the first place and talk to them. Or last resort get the audio guy to do a beep or tone before he starts a tape or digital recording. I assume with 12 lavs it should be recorded with some digital feild recorder and there should be no sync issues.

who is making the audio out of sync?

kd
Old 07-27-2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd_special View Post
I assume with 12 lavs it should be recorded with some digital feild recorder and there should be no sync issues.
With that many mics constantly open phase issues are extremely difficult to avoid. If people are constantly moving and mics placed in different positions there is little to no way to hard phase lock all of them since even within a take the phase relation will change if the 12 people walk around.

Your best chance is to volume graph each mic as good as posible to keep cross-talk to a minimum. If they all speak at the same time it will be impossible to phase align them all unless they freeze their positions or they are far enough apart so cross-talk is a minimum.

AFAIk there is no magic tool that will do this for you.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:12 AM

Wacky idea... have a look at renting a Dugan automixer.
I used it on a game show with 12 kids, each wearing 2 lavs.
The E1 unit is cost effective and has adat in and out.
Dan is a very clever fellow and this might do the trick.
or, play follow the puck as we Canadians say

Brian

www.thehideoutstudios.com
Old 07-27-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin View Post
Wacky idea... have a look at renting a Dugan automixer.
I used it on a game show with 12 kids, each wearing 2 lavs.
The E1 unit is cost effective and has adat in and out.
Dan is a very clever fellow and this might do the trick.
or, play follow the puck as we Canadians say

Brian

www.thehideoutstudios.com
Funny, I was just going to mention the shure automixer ;-)

http://www.shure.com/americas/produc...crophone-mixer

But it only has 8 channels...

Zaxcom announced automixer capabilities for the new Nomad. Not sure if will come alive. Zaxcom is kinda famous for making announcements that never see daylight in the end.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:53 AM

Hello. Well obviously the ideal situation would be to try to correct the issue when the audio is being recorded on the field. But one thing that could help your current issue once inside of Pro Tools (or any other DAW software) is the Little Labs IBP plug in. It is only available with a UAD card but it may do the trick. Theoretically you could also get a hardware IBP box and feed each channel one at a time, but I think the UAD card may be the way to go. Check these links out. Good luck.

http://www.uaudio.com/store/special-...-labs-ibp.html

http://www.littlelabs.com/
Old 07-27-2011, 07:22 PM

Cheers for all the recommendations chaps. All points taken and I shall investigate!
Old 07-27-2011, 08:35 PM

Another tool to have a look at is Plural Eyes

It's not really meant for your application but it may be possible to match the separate tracks to the mixdown.