Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2011, 09:57 PM

Default Pro Tools 9 and Zoom H4N?

I read on the AirUsersBlog that someone was able to make this work, and i am having absolutely no luck with it. i have Asio4All V2, and PT9 runs fine by itself, or doing any kind of midi, work but When i connect my H4N after the load windows it says "audio device is being used by another program pro tools must close out", anyone having any luck with this? I love my h4n and i have a couple bigger PT8 rigs at home, i didn't want to have to buy another small interface for the laptop. so hopefully this is fixable.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 and Zoom H4N?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamslide720 View Post
I read on the AirUsersBlog that someone was able to make this work, and i am having absolutely no luck with it. i have Asio4All V2, and PT9 runs fine by itself, or doing any kind of midi, work but When i connect my H4N after the load windows it says "audio device is being used by another program pro tools must close out", anyone having any luck with this? I love my h4n and i have a couple bigger PT8 rigs at home, i didn't want to have to buy another small interface for the laptop. so hopefully this is fixable.
Have you tried plugging it in first before loading PT?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-31-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Have you tried plugging it in first before loading PT?

yup sure have, it works ok with record from propellerheads, but not with pro tools.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:38 PM

Hi,
Did you manage to get your H4N to interface with protools 9?
I just bought protools 9 but haven't received it just yet and am about to head overseas. I'm definitely taking my H4N but would like to avoid taking my M-AudioMobilePre as well.
Also - does anyone have any knowledge of performance comparisons between these two interfaces.
Thanks.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:37 AM

nope, tried all new drivers from zoom, tried to update asio, all no go.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:14 PM

I have a H2 and it also suffers the same issue with the ASIO driver. However it does work with the ASIO4ALL driver. If you make active/select the Zoom H Series Audio in the ASIO4ALL control panel (the icons to the left of the device), you'll get I/O to/from the device. I believe both units use the same drivers, so this may apply to the H4N. One issue is -9128 errors, but that may be just a function of horsepower or buffer settings. I still don't get the ASIO buffer setting versus the the PT Playback Engine hardware buffer - they can be different. In the ASIO4ALL control panel, I have the computer output active, the computer input idle, the Zoom H Series Audio input active and the Zoom output idle. I get the audio input from the Zoom and monitor through the computer onboard audio out. Watch out for feed back loops if everything is active.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 04-19-2011, 07:53 AM

Cool Re: Pro Tools 9 and Zoom H4N?

sweet it works, that explains why it told me the h4n asio engine was being used by soemthing else. however while recording i do get clicks every so often, but maybe that's cause it is on 48k maybe if i record at 44.1k when using it that will stop. thanks for your help
Old 06-23-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
ChuckS
Re: Pro Tools 9 and Zoom H4N?
I have a H2 and it also suffers the same issue with the ASIO driver. However it does work with the ASIO4ALL driver. If you make active/select the Zoom H Series Audio in the ASIO4ALL control panel (the icons to the left of the device), you'll get I/O to/from the device. I believe both units use the same drivers, so this may apply to the H4N. One issue is -9128 errors, but that may be just a function of horsepower or buffer settings. I still don't get the ASIO buffer setting versus the the PT Playback Engine hardware buffer - they can be different. In the ASIO4ALL control panel, I have the computer output active, the computer input idle, the Zoom H Series Audio input active and the Zoom output idle. I get the audio input from the Zoom and monitor through the computer onboard audio out. Watch out for feed back loops if everything is active.

So I have tried this and it is not working is there maybe something I was missing? Possibly a better way of describing what you did?
Old 06-24-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
In the ASIO4ALL control panel, I have the computer output active, the computer input idle, the Zoom H Series Audio input active and the Zoom output idle. I get the audio input from the Zoom and monitor through the computer onboard audio out. Watch out for feed back loops if everything is active.
I don't know how to better describe it. OTT, have you installed the Zoom drivers and started the the unit in audio interface mode?
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 06-28-2011, 03:28 AM

Yes, I have the most up to date zoom drivers and I do start it in interface mode before I turn on PT9.