Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 03-05-2011, 10:01 AM

Default Using VSTs in Pro Tools 9

So, I recently discovered that VSTs aren't supported by PT9 which is really too bad as there are many free ones, and I just purchased a couple that emulate some 80s synthesizers. After doing some research, I could only find FXpansion as a work around. Feeling kind of hopeless that I wouldn't be able to use my new VSTs, I purchased it. Well, none of the wrapped plugins will launch. Pro Tools recognizes the VSTs as being there, but they always fail to load.

Some more research later and I find people saying they can open VSTs with Native Instrument's Kore Player in Pro Tools. So, I downloaded it, and while it's launching in Pro Tools, I can't find any way to open a VST in it, and none of the preset sounds are playing.

Is there anything I can do? I really want to write some music with these VSTs! Thanks.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Using VSTs in Pro Tools 9

The fxpansion wrapper is working fine for the rest of us. At least it is on Windows. I have hundreds of wrapped VSTs and they all open in PT. Which platform are you on, and which OS version?

[Update:] And BTW, when you say "VST," you mean any sort of plug-in in Steinberg's VST format, right? Some people use it to refer to virtual instrument plug-ins in any format. If your "VSTs" are AU, they won't wrap.

Nyquist was right.

PT 2019.6 Ultimate | Omni | macOS Sierra
PT 2019.6 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10
Old 03-05-2011, 10:45 AM

Try using Reaper it is free to evaluate,It runs very efficiently. here is a video:
Old 03-05-2011, 01:47 PM

Yeah, actually for VST VIs, you can ReWire Reaper into PT, load the VSTs in Reaper, and then record and edit your MIDI in PT if you wish. It works pretty much the same as if you had loaded the VI in PT, except you have to toggle between programs to edit the parameters.

Nyquist was right.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:00 PM

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. Also, when I say VST, I'm talking about the Steinberg format. I'll try that Reaper program and update this thread later.

Update: Reaper did the trick except for one thing. I can't get my midi keyboard to control the VSTs I load when Reaper is rewired into Pro Tools. Independently my midi keyboard registers fine in Reaper, but PT and Reaper together aren't registering inputs. Any ideas? Also, can I write Midi in Pro Tools with this method? I just went into the Midi Window and no keys on the piano roll play a note on the vst. I don't want to have to learn Reaper right now.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrpg99 View Post
Update: Reaper did the trick except for one thing. I can't get my midi keyboard to control the VSTs I load when Reaper is rewired into Pro Tools. Independently my midi keyboard registers fine in Reaper, but PT and Reaper together aren't registering inputs. Any ideas? Also, can I write Midi in Pro Tools with this method? I just went into the Midi Window and no keys on the piano roll play a note on the vst. I don't want to have to learn Reaper right now.
Did you see the video link above? I do this all the time and find Reaper ReWired to be one of the most valuable add-ons there is for VIs in PT. I won't even attempt a complex VI session without it. Until PT goes 64bit, this is the way. It's well worth taking a little time to learn.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Did you see the video link above? I do this all the time and find Reaper ReWired to be one of the most valuable add-ons there is for VIs in PT. I won't even attempt a complex VI session without it. Until PT goes 64bit, this is the way. It's well worth taking a little time to learn.
I've watched it a few times now, and I don't see where the person in the video enabled a midi controller. In fact, the video actually leaves out some important info. I had to search the web last night to find the extra steps not shown in it to get Reaper rewired in PT. As I said, I have both programs accepting midi control when they are running independently of each other, but Reaper won't take any input when it's rewired into PT.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:08 PM

It's a little tricky the first time. First, on your track in Reaper (the one with the VST VI on it), click on the "in" button at the bottom of the track. Near the bottom of the flyout is a submenu "MIDI Input." Under that is a submenu "ReWire Bus1." Select a channel (or All Channels). That sets the track to look at the ReWire bus for MIDI input. Arm the track and make sure its Record Monitoring button is "On" or "Auto."

Then in Pro Tools, make a MIDI track and select an output channel (like "Channel1 - channel-1") and record arm it.

Nyquist was right.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Hi Tom,

How did you get reaper rewire installed? I've installed Reaper and launched as standalone etc, but no rewire is in the PT plugs folder.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club_Build A Tower top 20 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 Control 24 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi Tom,

How did you get reaper rewire installed? I've installed Reaper and launched as standalone etc, but no rewire is in the PT plugs folder.

Chris

OK i've got it. Had to tick the preference in reaper to start rewire mixer etc.

This is amazing and so much better than using Logic for VI's like i have been previously. I can actually use Gladiator again!!

And its so easy to have 16 parts all on different midi channels all on different tracks in Pro Tools! Genius.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club_Build A Tower top 20 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 Control 24 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.