Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2011, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Cubase 6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
support for 64 bit means it's not a 64 bit built. It supports working with a 64 bit OS and third parties software/plug ins that are 64 bit. Like what protools is today. Cubase 6 is a full 64 bit software. That's the difference.
PT itself can't access more the 4 gigs of RAM (though it can run on 64bit), the very reason for 64bit. Cubase 5x64 can. Don't see a difference other than saying "it's official" with 6. But it was already working fully in 5.

Quote:
Also to the OP, before jumping guns about cubase 6, have you read this?

http://www.cubendo.com/showthread.ph...-release/page6

Would you really want PT to come out flashing guns blazing stating to all that they are a fully 64 bit software that supports x many gigs of ram and then have those kinds of problem?
Those people sound just like the ones here where something is always wrong with PT and Avid that does not effect most of the user base. It happens every release with every DAW. I've never had major or ongoing issues with Avid nor Steinberg. The OP wanted x64 bit to access more RAM. Cubase allows that. But as mentioned, there are ways to get it in PT for now.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Alright.. before going on your high horses, I suggest you get some knowledge in coding in 64 bits. IT'S NOT a trivial matter. That said, they can't not give a precice date, because coding takes time and can not be time tabled. After that they actually have to test the software to the avid gear, and then to computers to make a baseline of compatibility grid. Not only that, but the plug in manufacturers also have to recode their plug ins so that they are full 64 bits. Do you see where I'm going with this?

It's one thing to have PT 64.. It's an other to have a working PT 64 with a good list of plug ins.

I'd much rather wait an other year and have a software that comes with a new line of hardware that works right off the bat in 64 bit mode for ram use, and a very extensive list of plug ins that comes included with the software, than a software that you can't use because the third parties have not finished working on their end of things.

Get it?
I got it.

I make the switch this weekend.

Personally....I don't want to have to wait another year (or two, or three). Best case scenario - I lose a year's creativity and gain a years frustration with PT stuttering.......worst case scenario - I might get hit by a bus and never know the beauty of actually having 12G RAM!!!!

In business - some lead and some follow. AVID, it seems, is a follower - and a non-responsive one at that.

The marriage is over - I have a new (and beautiful) mistress.......
Old 03-02-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthert View Post
I got it.

I make the switch this weekend.

Personally....I don't want to have to wait another year (or two, or three). Best case scenario - I lose a year's creativity and gain a years frustration with PT stuttering.......worst case scenario - I might get hit by a bus and never know the beauty of actually having 12G RAM!!!!

In business - some lead and some follow. AVID, it seems, is a follower - and a non-responsive one at that.

The marriage is over - I have a new (and beautiful) mistress.......
Pro tools HDX, Avid HD I/O 16x16 analog,

http://jonatanmusik.com/
Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
support for 64 bit means it's not a 64 bit built. It supports working with a 64 bit OS and third parties software/plug ins that are 64 bit. Like what protools is today. Cubase 6 is a full 64 bit software. That's the difference.
Not strictly speaking true. Cubase 4 had a 64bit version, as did Cubase 5 and Nuendo 4 and Nuendo 5 and Sonar, and Reaper, so it's not that rare. It is rarer (is that a word?) on OSX, where 64bit was delayed because of the Carbon/Cocoa fiasco.

Pro Tool can't work with 64bit plugs, even of there were any. The only way round is to use 3rd party software, like VE Pro.

Having said that I still use the 32bit version of Nuendo, because I use VE pro, so can access all my RAM for samples, should I wish to.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 03-04-2011, 08:58 AM

lowthert,

Is it true the new timeline has triplet support? Can you display these bar markers in a different color, snap to grid, actually see a triplet grid in a 4/4 meter timeline?

Also, have you watched the rewire video Pro Tools master, REAPER slave running huge virtual instrument counts in REAPER 64 bit?

Also Native-Instruments all their code is 32 bit, but like many, compatible with 64 bit. I don't see what the difference is, but would like to know what you are referring to? Download REAPER x86, X64 and test each to see. What benefits are achieved?

Is the new vrs 6 the same CPU hog as older versions? Only REAPER as far as I know is streamlined, tightly written, non-bloated, non-ported code. I just prefer editing in Pro Tools and its automated mixer... like the other 100,000 others here.

I am just waiting for a stable version. I don't compose in Pro Tools, found it gave me writer's block... linear timeline syndrome.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka21stCentury View Post
lowthert,

Is the new vrs 6 the same CPU hog as older versions? Only REAPER as far as I know is streamlined, tightly written, non-bloated, non-ported code. I just prefer editing in Pro Tools and its automated mixer... like the other 100,000 others here.
I know this is a PT forum but this is simply not true. Cubase is not at all a CPU hog, especially when compared to PT LE/9. Take VI's away and both DAWs perform about the same on a core 2 quad. Each can crunch a ton of dynamic and effect plugins while mixing. Many don't use PT just for editing and mixing for no reason. PT MIDI and RTAS just do not cut it with certain compositions, though I've seen them come a long way since I started on LE 6.

Take CPU and RAM hungry VI's like EWQL, Komplete 7, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, Ivory. They're ok on compositions that require a few patches from them. But start pulling multiple patches from them and see how far you get in PT9 on less than a latency happy 512 buffer. Reaper and Cubase, both using VST, clearly have the edge over RTAS in this regard. This is a none issue for the many songs that fit well into a 32bit RTAS environment. Or if one has an extremely powerful computer. The latter is important but not as important with VST than RTAS.

64bit is the other issue for composers who rely heavily on these type VI's, and having to buy other stuff to get more RAM in PT should be a want not a need. If RTAS doesn't cock out first on 128 or even 256 buffer, then you certainly have reached the RAM limit.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:16 PM

Whatever you decide, just understand some things.

OMF doesn't work. Never has. SB continues to blame Digi/AVId for their problems.
Media Bay. Will drive you to murder. Forget about finding your presets again.

Bit Bridge - Not great. Many problems with it still. You need to get JBridge.

There is no edit to picture in Cubase. So if you are trying to move a note and have the picture follow, it won't and never will.

Stability? Can't really say. Heard of stability issue with plugins, corrupt projects as well.

As Dayrl said, if it is just 64bit, get VEPro.

There is a former Nuendo composer using it with PT 9 with GREAT success. He moved to PT 9 and never looked back.
Well, he did look back to see what he stepped in.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
logic isn't even full 64 bit. .

What makes you say that?

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:58 PM

I use to use Cubase 4. For while there I liked it. It's a patchwork program to me. All the stuff they added was never fully integrated. Like MediaBay. Piece of crap.

I will never use Cubase again.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:46 PM

I have had to use Cubase a few times when writing a manual. Maybe it's just because I don't have several years of time with it like I do with Pro Tools and Logic, but I found it to be extremely clunky and unintuitive. It seems like it takes several steps to accomplish something in it that usually is a single step in other DAWs. It has a few features that other programs don't have, but I honestly don't get what people see in it.

VE pro or reaper rewired into PT are far better solutions if you want 64 bit and already know pro tools.