Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Mac)

Old 01-03-2011, 10:58 AM

Default Another rookie question ???

So I'm learning quite a bit about my PT SE....and I'm integrating it now with my Native Instruments Maschine. I'm not going to say it's been a breeze, and I've still got a long way to go and much to learn.

Here's my current issue....So I've gone through and did a list of recommended optimizations to my Mac Mini for better PT SE performance (Thanks to my man out there who answered my post) but I still seem to be spiking my CPU usage during playback of tracks, causing awful pops and clicks. Not sure if it matters or not, but this is happening with the playback of audio dragged and dropped onto stereo tracks in PT from the Maschine software....although it would probably still be happening if I were playing back PT internal sounds. All in all....it just seems like my Mini is struggling a bit to playback anything from PT. Weird thing is that I can whip up several tracks in Maschine and play them back seemingly fine.

I began thinking about maybe upgrading my audio (Currently have whatever came with the Mini....I think it's Core Audio) or upgrading my actual HD (If I could do that on a Mini), or removing some unused applications......like Garage Band

I know that these Mini's aren't the Ferrari's of the computer world, but having already maxed out the RAM to 8GB, and using this thing only for music creation, I'd figure it to have enough zoom to playback without issue.

Advice anyone ????
Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Another rookie question ???

Are you running your Pro Tools sessions from an external drive, or from the Mac HD? If you have an external drive you should see increased performance if you have your sessions there.