Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2011, 04:26 PM

Default Apple Keyboard on Windows 7

I just hooked up my apple keyboard to my windows 7 machine and it was super easy. I haven't installed pro tools on this new computer yet, however i was wondering if you think the key commands will work in pro tools? I'm still waiting for my PT9 purchase to arrive in the mail. **keep in mind i am very very used to pro tools on a mac and am scared that the key commands will be different - mainly with the control, alt, and command buttons.

I was very suprised to press control alt delete on the apple keyboard and it worked on my pc....
Old 01-02-2011, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Apple Keyboard on Windows 7

Unfortunately some of the key commands on PC are different. Had to struggle with that myself, until I switched back to Mac again.
Would be nice to know what happens with an Apple keyboard. Guess it won't do much good, but please keep us posted on that one.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 01-02-2011, 04:39 PM

yeah i figured that would be the case.

Could you give me an example of what key commands are different?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:43 PM

It's been a while, so I can't really remember, but two particularly annoying ones were:

- The "move cursor down" command. On Mac it's ";", on PC it was "[".
- Switching to volume automation view. On Mac it's "-" on PC it's "/".

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 01-02-2011, 09:53 PM

I use a mac keyboard on my PC Pro tools, I was trained on a PT mac so to help me avoid learning all PC key commands again, I use keytweak to change my pc keyboard layout into mac keyboard layout, then hook a mac keyboard to my PC and viola!

here's the link to download keytweak:
http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

the only 2 commands that I am aware of that will be different even with keytweak mac keyboard layout is:

1) backwards TAB: instead of ALT+Tab, use COMMAND+TAB
2) going to end of session: instead of ALT+RETURN use COMMAND+Return.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuang View Post
I use a mac keyboard on my PC Pro tools, I was trained on a PT mac so to help me avoid learning all PC key commands again, I use keytweak to change my pc keyboard layout into mac keyboard layout, then hook a mac keyboard to my PC and viola!

here's the link to download keytweak:
http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

the only 2 commands that I am aware of that will be different even with keytweak mac keyboard layout is:

1) backwards TAB: instead of ALT+Tab, use COMMAND+TAB
2) going to end of session: instead of ALT+RETURN use COMMAND+Return.
You are exactly right. Just use keytweak to change the modifiers. Alt to windows keys, windows to control keys and control to alt keys. 99% the same key comma ds that way.
Best
Old 02-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giltzer14 View Post
I just hooked up my apple keyboard to my windows 7 machine and it was super easy. I haven't installed pro tools on this new computer yet, however i was wondering if you think the key commands will work in pro tools? I'm still waiting for my PT9 purchase to arrive in the mail. **keep in mind i am very very used to pro tools on a mac and am scared that the key commands will be different - mainly with the control, alt, and command buttons.

I was very suprised to press control alt delete on the apple keyboard and it worked on my pc....

Hey - can you report if that little Keyboard tweak has worked? I'm considering to do the same and don't want to learn PC key commands. So it would be really nice if you could tell if there where any problems...thanks a lot
Old 02-29-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
You are exactly right. Just use keytweak to change the modifiers. Alt to windows keys, windows to control keys and control to alt keys. 99% the same key comma ds that way.
Best
hey

i'm a little confused which key on the mac layout you mapped to which key on the pc layout or vice versa. Isn't it rather: leave the control key where it is (because both mac and win are on the very left). Map the alt key on the mac keyboard with wins "alt" key and the command key on the mac keyboard with wins "windows"key???? - because the only difference if you regard it from the 'windows-point-of-view' is that on a mac keyboard the windwos key and alt key are inverted???
Old 03-02-2012, 01:11 PM

Basically CTRL = CMD .
CMD = CTRL

the only thing that i have found that is different is option tab to move backward its ctrl tab on a pc.